Chapter 1: Malfoy ownes me two

May 2, 1998 – Right after the great victory, at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

I ran hard, shouting his name loudly so he can hear me. I wanted to give him something before he leaves and this was my last chance because I don't even know if I will ever see him again. Maybe this will be the last time. He turned around and looked at me with an expressionless face. His parents at his side stopped too, but looked so unpleased doing that.
"Potter..." said Malfoy. "What do you want?"

I sighed. This isn't going to be like I hoped. I was hoping for a 'Thank you for saving me and my friend from burning to death' or 'thanks for ridding the world of that madman' or anything like this, but apparently I wasn't going to get any of that.

"I just wanted to give you this." I gave him my wand – his wand, the one I used these past months. "Thank you," I said without thinking. Shit! I ended up thanking him, not the opposite.

"Why are you giving it to me now? I asked for it earlier and you didn't give it to me. Why now? Or now that you have the Elder Wand, you won't need this anymore."

"Fuck you, Malfoy!" I threw the wand at him and left. Why did I ever think of returning it to that prat? Fucking Malfoy...

I returned back to the castle cursing Malfoy and thankful that I won't be seeing him again. Good riddance...

But I was quite wrong. I did see him again.
________________________________

Saturday, September 5, 1998 – Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

I never thought that we would return back to Hogwarts after the war, but Hermione insisted that she has to attend her skipped year, and Ron and I thought we would attend with her, too.

This year, Hogwarts was much less crowded than any other year. Not many students have returned after the war, either because they were killed in the war, or they were related to Death Eaters and were afraid or ashamed to show their faces to the public. Some even gave up on their education. Surprisingly, Draco Malfoy wasn't among any of these. He, for some reason, wanted to continue his education. While we skipped our year fighting Death Eaters and hunting Horcruxes, he skipped it fighting Aurors and torturing Ollivander.

Our first week passed quickly. Thankfully, we didn't have any homework to do and had the whole weekend free. So I thought it would be nice if I played a one on one game of Quidditch with Ron, just the two of us. I thought a competitively distracting game might help him out of his depression ever since the death of his brother. He always looked sad whenever he thought no one was looking and acted normal when he wasn't alone, but he can't fool me. I knew he was very sad because I'm empathetic to his current situation. In fact, I am exactly like him right now. I still have not recovered from Remus's death.

After two hours of flying, Ron looked better, but I know he'll soon return to his usual depressed state. Still, I have to help my friend recover as he helped me recover when Sirius died.

"I fucking love flying," said Ron. "Thanks, Harry, for suggesting this."

"Anytime, mate."

He yawned. "I feel so tired. I am going to bed. Coming too?"
"No," I said. "You go. And take my broom with you, if you would."