Struggling

Sokka's POV

I've been living in the city for about a month now and it's going great! Though I'm thinking this whilst burning toast for the sixth time this morning, I haven't showered for three weeks, all my meals are burnt or noodles, I'm drinking my weight in coffee, and I still haven't found a job. I frowned picking up my six slices of burnt toast, "good morning to me", I sighed putting the toast aside and going back to my room passing the calendar, stopping as I notice something for today.

"My family are coming today!? How have I forgotten that!", I looked at the dirty kitchen and frowned going to clean it up putting the tap on, I better go change, I walked away to change taking my time forgetting I left the tap on and walked back seeing soapy water all over the floor. "Damn it!!", I panicked dropping to my knees half dressed trying to soak the water up with my clothes. That seems like it'll work.

"Hey, Sokka?",!I heard knocking on the door, it's Katara, she knew I couldn't live alone, she's definitely going to rub my nose in this, "h-hang on!", I scrambled to my feet to go and turn the tap off, wringing my clothes out in the sink. "Is everything okay in there?", I needed help, I unlocked the door to let her in, "woah, what happened here?", she raised a brow stepping in taking off her jacket, "nothing, just me living here", I shrugged. "Yeah I can see that", she looked up at me crossing her arms giving me a smirk.

"Can you give me a hand with your bending?", I looked back at her, "if only I can say I told you so", she kept the smirk on her face, "fine but I'm going to cover my ears", I rolled my eyes covering my ears with my hands whilst she said I told you so. "Better?", I looked at her, she nodded proud of herself and slowly bended the water from the floor and into the sink, "I'll try my best to clean this mess up and make you a proper breakfast", she raised a brow at the sad slices of toast.

"A special Katara breakfast!?", I beamed, I'm going to actually eat a proper meal, I went to hug her picking her up in my arms to celebrate, "thank you sis, you're a saviour!", I was so excited, food is my best friend. "O-Okay okay put me down!", she brushed herself off when I did as she said and raised a brow at me holding her nose and pulling a face of disgust. "Sokka you smell horrible, go and get in the shower", she watched me walked past then took her fingers off her nose going to clean up.

Thank god she didn't bring Gran Gran with her, if she saw me like this she would drag me back home by my ear. I had a shower and got changed walking back out to see a clean kitchen and a plate of food on the table, "Sokka's back baby", I sat down quickly and ate quickly. "I worry about you sometimes", I heard Katara talk but didn't pay attention to what she said. Though we don't get on super well, I'm glad she's here.

Katara's POV

I can't believe he's living like this, it's obvious that he hasn't found a job either, it's only a matter of time before he comes back home, but right now we have to meet Gran Gran for a drink nearby, "is dad here?", Sokka asked excitedly as we walked down the stairs in his apartment block, leaving the door and walking down the street. I'm always the one who has to give him the bad news, "no not this time, but I'm sure he will soon", I smiled at him and he smiled back, who am I kidding he'll never visit, but I can't bare to hurt my brother so much.

"Hey mr city slicker!", Gran Gran yelled across the street, Sokka's eyes lit up as he saw her and ran over to give her a hug, I checked the road was safe before walking over myself, Gran Gran sure has missed him. "It's horrible back home without you, nobody enjoys my cooking as much as you", Gran Gran held onto his arm as we walk walked together.

"Well you've got little miss picky so no wonder it's so horrible back there", Sokka chuckled, I crossed my arms and raised a brow, I could tell Gran Gran what a state his apartment was and how badly he's been living so she can turn on him, but she's lucky I'm nice enough not too, still he better watch it. "Come on this bar looks good", She squinted up at the sign and dragged Sokka inside with me following close behind them. "Never too early for some brandy is it?", she walked up to the bar, "Gran Gran it's 11 o'clock", Sokka checked his watch.

"Perfect", she smiled and began to order for us like she always does, I stood beside Sokka at the bar and thought about what he should do, because we can't leave him here like this, he could be dead surrounded by burnt toast the next time we come back. The bartender water bended the drinks for other customers in front of us and getting Gran Gran's brandy with his free hand, and it reminded me that Sokka definitely hasn't got a job yet. I stayed silent as I thought of a plan.

A couple hours later Gran Gran was beginning to fall asleep at the bar, "better take her to the hotel", I sighed standing up, "why have you booked a room? You could stay at mine", Sokka smiled helping Gran Gran up then helping her stand. "Sorry I've seen your apartment, I really don't want Gran Gran to act as your roommate", I laughed then the thought came to me.

We were walking out of the bar when I stopped Sokka and smiled up at him, "I think I have an idea", He furrowed his brows then sighed, "let's get this one to her bed and talk about it then okay?", I nodded and helped him out, getting Gran Gran to her room then walking down to the reception of the hotel, ordering more drinks and sitting at a table. "What's your new marvellous idea then dear sister of mine", Sokka leant back in his chair.

"Roommates", I smiled, "uhh? Come again?", Sokka raised a brow, "you need roommates, you need to sell that crappy apartment you're in now, find a place that's a lot better that you can share rent with some roomies, I could come too!", I explained, "aha, Katara I moved because I want to get away from you, I've been your roommate for too many years of my life", he picked up his drink. "Yeah but I'm a good cook", I shrugged, "damn it yes you are", Sokka sighed sitting up as he thought about it.

"I definitely need to be around people, I went crazy back in that apartment", Sokka looked down at his drink as he talked, "and what about a job? I can help you if you want, I can help you out with everything, I've got your back", I smiled. "Alright, well we better start finding some roommates huh?", Sokka got excited and stood up, "wait, how're we gonna do that?", "leave it to me", I got my phone out as we walked together out of the hotel and onto the street, without looking up from my phone I didn't realise I was crossing a road.

Lights have turned green and a car came at high speed towards me, I heard the horn and looked up but as soon as I saw it, it was right in front of me, I couldn't move, is this it? All that excitement for nothing? I closed my eyes and flinched as I heard a crash sound, I opened my eyes and looked around to see clouds of smoke and someone in front of me, the car has been pushed back, it must be a bender.

"T-Thank you", I held my chest, my heart was beating extremely fast, I thought my life was going to end there and then. "No problem", the voice was soft and sweet, they turned around to face me with a happy look in their eyes, "are you feeling alright?", he asked, we still stood in the middle of the street, he wore a baggy orange jacket with a yellow beanie, white shirt and baggy jeans, this boy is pretty attractive, and he saved my life that's a bonus. I didn't reply as I was too busy letting my eyes wonder, "hm? Sorry yes", I giggled looking back into his eyes.

"Okay, see you around", he began to walk off but I held onto his arm making him look back at me, "sorry but I need to know your name before you go, I need to thank you properly", my cheeks warmed up, "my name's Aang, and yours?", he asked, I kept holding onto his arm, "Katara, thank you Aang I owe you", I smiled, I wanted to stay like this forever.

"Okay what's this?", Sokka walked over looking Aang up and down then taking my hand off his arm, "run along beanie guy", he huffed, "alright ponytail guy, catch you later Katara", he smiled and walked away like nothing happened. I watched him walk until I couldn't see him anymore, Sokka was giving me a lecture about why men aren't good for me, I wasn't paying attention.

Aang huh?

I'm forever in your debt.