Encounter

Request:

"So Seph is angy and goes to stab you and then he sees your face and is like, damn your cute and falls in love with you. Lmao. Also your husband Cloud never sees you again."

(p.s. My friend is the one who requested this and purposely made it dumb lmao.)

-----

The street I walked down was dark and deathly silent, with myself being the only sign of life around. My path was illuminated by the light posts that were dotted along the sides.

I sighed as I continued to lug my newly acquired groceries back to my home. You see, I was supposed to do the grocery shopping earlier in the day, however, I decided to procrastinate on going out by doing small mindless activities around the house. Eventually, my husband, Cloud, returned home at around 11 PM, only for him to ask why we didn't have any food in the fridge or cupboards. Before he could fit another word in, I sprinted out of the house and went to the nearest store. Thankfully the closest one offered 24-hour service, so very convenient for me.

I replayed the day in my head, mentally facepalming at how I just managed to inconvenience myself by procrastinating until the ends of the earth. I heard a small ping from my phone, a text from Cloud. It simply read:

"Hey, are you coming back now?"

I stopped to text him back.

"Yeah, I should be back in about five minutes"

After a couple of seconds, another ping rang out and a text bubble appeared.

"Alright good, just hurry up and don't take too long, you know how dangerous it is at night"

I sighed and replied with a simple "I'll be fine don't worry" before continuing to walk. Cloud always worries about me when we go out, or when I go outside by myself. I've occasionally asked him why but he always seems to avoid the question, or give me vague answers. The closest reason I've gotten from him was that he was 'just worried that someone might hurt me'. However whenever I would ask him who, he'd just move on the conversation. I'm sure, if he'd had the chance, he would have come with me to go shopping. However, with him just returned from work and the fact I practically made a mad dash for the store, he probably was too tired to try to catch up with me. I'm not sure why he's so worried though, I'm perfectly capable of protecting myself.

I was caught off guard when a single black feather delicately floated down onto the floor in front of me. Odd, since there wasn't any kind of bird around that would have produced a feather of that colour, it was pretty though. I was almost tempted to pick it up and keep it for myself to admire but with my hands full, and Cloud worried about my return, I reluctantly walked past it.

As I continue to walk, I think I hear another set of footsteps trailing behind me. My eyes immediately shoot to the ground and, sure enough, I see a shadow of another person being cast close to my own. I try not to panic, checking my breathing is still steady and my body wasn't unconsciously quivering. I tried to reassure myself that it was just another person out and they had no intention of harming me, even if they just seemed to manifest from thin air behind me.

After a painfully long time of me, panic walking but also trying to not to panic walk, the footsteps seem to fade away and the shadow slips out of sight. I let a out quick sigh of relief as I quickly glance behind me. Whoever was behind me left quickly because there was no sign of anyone around.

However, when I turn back around I'm met with the tip of a very sharp sword, that could definitely kill me in an extremely short amount of time. I look up to meet the owner of the potentially life-ending weapon, before being greeted by two soul-piercing eyes. Shit.

I practically yanked my body away from them, nearly losing my balance. I debated with myself about ditching the shopping and making a run for it, however, examining the dude in front of me, I probably wouldn't have been able to get too far from him. Unsure about what to do, I took a few cautious steps backwards into the streetlight, bracing myself for a potential attack.

However, he lowered his weapon and moved closer into the light. He examined me, his cat-like eyes flicking up and down. He then stared me down, making very intense eye contact. It immediately made me feel extremely awkward so I quickly broke the contact and stared down at the ground underneath me. He apparently found my reaction amusing, as I heard him chuckle.

"Did me looking at you really make you that nervous?"

His voice also caught me off guard. It was deep, for sure, but bizarrely softly spoken. I tried to muster up a reply, trying to keep composure.

"No... I-I just... the ground is r-really... um...t-there's like this uh...cool rock on the floor, it's p-pretty neat."

...

Good job, me, you fuckin' moron. I hear another chuckle from the dude. He is 100% gonna kill me, welp I guess it was a good life, mostly... Could've done without embarrassing myself before my death though.

"Tell me, what's your name?"

"I- wait what?"

I was genuinely caught off guard by that question. I was expecting... something else I don't know but, not that.

"Your name, I'm assuming you have one?"

"O-oh um right, yeah my name uhm... It's (Y/N)."

I didn't wanna piss off this dude, so I tried to answer as quickly as I could. Unfortunately, this meant that my answer was stilted and awkward. Brilliant.

"(Y/N)? Hm, interesting."

Ah, shit, he probably thinks my name is dumb, doesn't he? Damn it, parents, why didn't you give me a cooler name!?

"Well my name is Sephiroth, it's been interesting to meet you."

Sephiroth!? His name is Sephiroth!? Now my name seems even more inferior now that I know that this dude's name is Sephiroth! Wait... I feel like I recognise that name... I feel like I should know who this dude is. Damn it, curse my obliviousness of literally everything around me.

I was unaware that I was absentmindedly staring at him while I was lost deep in my thoughts. As soon as I noticed, I immediately looked away from him. Again. For fuck sakes why do I have the inability to look at this man!?

"Are you alright? You seem slightly nervous."

SHIT HE NOTICED. Looked at him again and saw that he was smirking, he knew what he was doing. I need to try and excuse myself from this situation because I'm going to end up imploding in on myself.

"Uhm no I-I'm fine. Actually uh... I-I gotta go because um... I gotta go home and make myself some food y'know?"

"Hmmm, I see..."

"Yeah, s-so uhm... I'll be making my way back and-"

I damn nearly fell over from how suddenly jumped because out of nowhere, a single, beautiful black wing sprouted out of the left side of his back. A flurry of feathers fell over us and, although it was pretty, I was worried that I somehow pissed off the man in front of me and was planning to actually kill me.

"How about you stay at my house for the night? It's already very late."

"Oh n-no it's quite alright I-"

I was interrupted again by him slightly moving closer to me and sharply cutting off my words with his own.

"Please (Y/N), I insist."

At this point, I'm pretty sure I don't have a choice, he's just pretending I do have one. I don't want to annoy him any more so I guess I'm going with him.

"O-oh alright then, only tonight though."

-----

A/N:

So this was pretty tricky to write, but I kinda like how it turned out. I might make another part that continues this plotline, because I feel it might be interesting. But yeah my friend requested this and purposely made it a kinda dumb request, however, I actually made it somewhat interesting and not dumb. At least I think I did lmao.

I've got a few other ideas for other one shots, so expect those relatively soon.

But yeah have a good rest of your day.