~ONE~ The Great War

Once upon a time, there rested a vast kingdom enclosed by an evergreen forest, with a castle so behemoth, it is said could be seen across the misty ocean. Its name was Asroph, a mighty appellation for a mighty realm. An expansive, stone wall divided itself from the enigmatic forest, keeping the unwanted creatures lurking in the trees away. Inside the wall, leading up to the castle's grand gate, was the busy marketplace and village.

The realm's township hustle and bustle were absolutely no frivolous matter. Villagers rose early in the morning to shop for food to feed their families, expressly the married women. Their husbands departed even earlier to start their low-paying jobs. Times were simple, though they'd been much, much worse before, so the townspeople were relatively pleased where they resided.

The brightly colored, gothic citadel of Asroph dominated most of the land, soaking in the rising sun and leaving the village in the glooms until midday. The only way to get inside the castle was through the massive, metal gate guarded by knights every waking hour. What lay behind the entrance was a broad stairway to the castle's gatehouse. Past that was the courtyard, which came to life with its flourishing gardens and central fountain. The front doors, carved and crafted with oak by the most exceptional carpenters in the land, lead to the main hall, where expensive balls were once thrown before the Goblins overthrew the town.

Three years prior, this was a darker dwelling.

The wicked Goblin King Titus and his people raged through the castle, murdering the king, queen, and workers of the castle who refused to relinquish. For ten years, he was the self-proclaimed king of Asroph, beloved by none but his Goblin subjects. Any villager who refused to follow his orders were simply killed in the square for the others to see. Titus possessed power by striking fear into the hearts of his people. He ruled with animosity.

Titus even ordered a curfew on the townspeople. By decree, no one was to leave their homes after work, no exceptions. Goblins combed through the village at night, their torches reaching through the darkness to ensure the people obeyed. And whomsoever did not, was slaughtered on sight.

As months wrung into years wearing the crown, Titus raised the people's taxes. He put their money toward extravagant collectibles and artifacts to adorn the castle, for it was more important than governmental expenses or for profits of justice—to which there was not.

The people longed to escape, but, alas, it was perilous. The vast forest around the town's walls dragged on for miles—a few days journey to the next village, Amberhelm. Any family with small children would never make it before being devoured by ogres or kidnapped by giants. So, in Asroph, they miserably lingered.

Until one day, Stephan Lovelle claimed he had enough. He rallied other village dwellers in clandestine for many a night, plotting to overthrow the Goblin King Titus and his minions. So desperate to seek out change, he even recruited his children, twenty-four-year-old Leofric, and seventeen-year-old Arabella. His best friend, Favian, was also by his side, his second in command.

At nightfall one fateful night, Stephan led his people to battle. They smashed out of their homes at the final chime of the last stroke of midnight, slaughtering the Goblin sentries and marching to the castle, brandishing their weapons in hymns for justice. His daughter, Arabella, and others less robust scaled the castle's walls, firing arrows at the gatehouse guards. When down, Stephan, Leofric, Favian, and the stronger fleet stormed the gates, their armored footsteps thundering through the vast ballroom hall.

There was an army of Goblins awaiting them in the throne room, and the Great War began in mere seconds. Swords sparred, arrows glided, cries borne out the windows and into the village, maybe even the forest. Gore leaked on the once glossy ebony flooring, bodies dropped—Goblin and human alike. It was a genocide Asroph had never witnessed.

After yanking his steel sword from the belly of a beastly Goblin, Leofric Lovelle turned around to meet his forthcoming doom. The Goblin King Titus himself was dashing at the youth, two battle-axes brandished and ready to strike. Leofric parried a deadly blow in a panic with his blade, only blocking one. The other ax penetrated his thigh, causing the boy to cry out. In one mighty sweep, the king brought an ax under Leofric's feet, knocking him flat on his back.

With one ax lifted, Titus prepared to end Leofric's short existence. Until a sword halted his blow, the ax edges away from the boy's chest plate. Stephan was there suddenly, hauling his sword upward and steering the ax from his son. Amid their struggle, the Goblin and human armies were still at war around them, the humans advancing by a fraction, but Stephan knew this would never end until the king had fallen.

Stephan whirled and lunged his blade at the Goblin King, but the monster was too swift. Titus dodged, bouncing and plummeting one of his blades down on Stephan's collarbone, the other into his side. To the boy's horror, Stephan collapsed to the floor like a castle of cards. He let out a final gasp as Titus tore his ax out of his neck, his eyes glazed over forever.

Leofric cried out at sight, bounding off the ground. He charged at the Goblin King as his back was turned, swiping his sword down on his neck. After a fierce snap, Titus's head rolled across the floor in a pool of crimson blood, silencing the throne room.

The other Goblins were petrified. In seconds, they surrendered to the villagers who had won their kingdom back. A wave of triumphant cheering reverberated through the halls and carried into the night. The rest of the town realized then that they had prevailed.

Arabella's fleet came rushing through the main hall and into the throne room, eager to join in the celebration. She hoisted her dress, and her quiver bounced rhythmically with her hips as she darted. But the second she entered the room, Leofric was there to halt her. She enveloped him gleefully, tears of happiness flooding her blue eyes, but what once were elated tears turned to sorrow when Leofric told her of their father's passing. Now she enfolded him to keep herself from crumbling. Together, they wept.

When the fallen bodies were cared for, and wounds were dressed, the townspeople who battled gathered in the throne room. As a whole, they nominated Favian and Leofric to be crowned as the new king. The majority favored the young man as he was the one to slay the Goblin King. Thus, the new leader of Asroph was elected.

That was the day Arabella could never forget: the dawn she became the princess of Asroph.

-
There's chapter one for you! More chapters coming in March. See you then!