~THREE~ The Ball

The dawn of the twentieth could never creep up on Asroph, no matter how stealthy it was. Everyone knew it was upon them, and there was no escaping it. Typically, shutters would be closed, businesses would be shut down, and people would be grieving in their homes. But since the town was notified of the ball held in the castle, there was chatter in the streets, smiles on faces, and hope in even the peasant folk's hearts. And like yesterday, the sun was beaming on Asroph. It was the perfect kind of warmth that assured you everything was going to be okay.

The local seamstress had been drowning in work since the announcement. Before King Titus, there had not been talking of a party, so all the fair maidens (who could afford it) fancied new dresses. She was up to her neck in orders, so she was forced to close the store in order to catch up.

Children pranced up and down the streets, chasing and laughing, playing with a ball. There was music in the streets, lively conversations. Everyone was excited to be invited to the king's home. It was a day of rarity indeed.

Yet between the sprightly crowd of peasants remained a figure in a black cloak. He looked to the castle with a toothy sneer below his hood. Among the eager citizens of Asroph, he was the most enthusiastic and for the wrong reason.

~

Arabella gasped as her handmaiden Nadine heaved on the strings of her corset. She could sense her abdomen uncomfortably tightening, wondering why she even had to wear the cursed thing. Once tied down, the princess dared to gaze upon the mirror. Her body looked well sculpted, but she did not feel that it was worth it. Her lungs felt trapped within every breath she inhaled.

Nadine assisted Arabella into her gown—a blush silk dress encrusted with pearls across the torso and trimmed with golden lace. It hung loosely down her sides and over her white heels, dragging behind her with every step. Her blonde locks draped her shoulders, the back threaded into a thin braid. Her silver tiara gleamed even in her gloomy room, illuminated by candles.

Nadine helped apply her makeup, for Arabella had never worn any. They painted her lips and applied blush to her cheeks, producing a soft glow on her face. She was beautiful; her only regret was that her father was not there to see her.

It was sunset outside, almost time for the ball to commence. Downstairs, the princess could overhear the main doors opening, citizens piling in, their excited chatter floating through the stone walls and up the stairs. Since dawn, the castle workers had been preparing the thrown room, setting out tables and chairs, the food, and lighting candles. Now that all preparations were finished, Arabella could hardly contain herself.

"It is a wonderful day, Nadine," Arabella said in awe.

"Yes, it is, Milady," Nadine replied.

The princess gazed out the window, noting the line of people drawing down the entrance and into the courtyard. Citizens of many shapes and sizes were eagerly waiting to come in. She even spotted a few children. It appeared that almost the whole town had shown up.

An unexpected knock on the door tore her watch from the window. Nadine promptly rushed over to open it, greeting the king on the other side. Arabella gasped at his regal attire, realizing she had never seen him look so formal. Leofric stood in a silky red and gold tunic embellished with gems. His collar, trimmed with white fur, also maintained a cape wrapped on his left side, down to his boots. For once, he was wearing the crown that was fitted for him with a diamond-encrusted center.

"How do I look?" Leofric asked after an uncomfortable clear of the throat.

Arabella clicked over to him in her heels, taking in his garb. "Handsome, I will give you that."