Chapter 5:

Anakin smirks at me before echoing his Master. “Yes (Y/N). What were you thinking?”

I don’t understand the feeling that ripples through me when he gives me the smirk, and I don’t want to. I smile right back at him, and answer Master Kenobi. “I was thinking back on something my Master had told me. He informed me that the Council believes I’m ready to face the trials.” 

I examine Obi-Wan for his reaction, and get what I had hoped. His face is beaming with pride, much like a parent would look upon a child. It’s obvious he’s excited, and this excites me. He goes to say something, but is engrossed by Anakin’s laughter. Obi and I both stare at him wondering what joke we missed.

He finally manages to speak again, and gets out, ”You? A Knight? What are you like seventeen? I suppose they’ve started knighting early.” I was taken aback. I knew I was short, but not short enough to be three years younger.

I can see Obi holding back his laughter as he scolds his padawan. “Anakin! That was entirely uncalled for! It was impolite and rude! Not to mention it’s as uncivilized as a blaster! I would prefer if you could at least act your age around other people.”

For some reason -only the maker knows why- I decide to save Anakin from the scolding he’s receiving. “Actually, I’m older than you. Though it may only be a year, I am older.”

He gives me a grateful look, before carrying back into his old ways. “So you’re twenty?” He seems a bit shocked, though I don’t understand why. He already towers over Obi-Wan, so why is it such a foreign subject that he’s taller than someone who's actually close to his age? Some people are just short…

I give him a confused look, “Yeah… that is what nineteen plus one is.” I should have resisted the need to be smart, but my sass would eventually win anyway.

“Still, that’s pretty young for a knight.” He seems hesitant, like he’s still not sure my words are facts. That or he’s worried Obi will take this comment to lecture him again.

He did. “Well Anakin, she trains under Master Windu. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was more advanced than me. I don’t believe Master Windu would be as lenient with his padawan as I’ve been with you.”

Anakin and I just looked at Obi-Wan. He said nothing wrong, it just wasn’t something he’d normally say. He’d just called Master Windu a strict Master, and wasn’t at all fazed. But that wasn’t even the appalling part. The appalling part was that he openly talked about someone behind their back. Good or bad, it didn’t matter. Speaking behind one's back could lead to rumors; which according to Master Kenobi’s teachings was basically a secret; something Master Kenobi preached to stay away from. Albeit though, the more I thought about it, the less it surprised me. Obi-Wan already had many secrets hidden under his shields. It wasn’t surprising to come from Obi, it was surprising to be coming from Master Kenobi.

“What? Why are you both staring at me?” Obi-Wan's voice brought both me and Anakin back to Coruscant. Before I could respond though Anakin spoke.

“Nothing Master, it’s just not something you would normally say.” Yep. I could not have explained it better than him. He said it.

“What? An insult to you? I believe those are a daily occurence you force me into.” It was my turn to laugh now. Obi, still unfazed, carried on, casually resuming his duties of being the sass-master. “Nevertheless, I believe it’s time for me to go. Congratulations (Y/N)! I request you do not take this as an insult, and enjoy Anakin’s company.” With that, Obi-Wan left faster than I could even say goodbye. I result to awkwardly waving at his back.

“Well I suppose it’s just me and you now?” Anakin’s voice was questioning, no doubt wondering if I was going to walk away too.

I mentally check my schedule, and already know there’s nothing of importance that requires my presence. For some reason this thought makes me giddy. 

“Yes, I suppose it is.” I look deep into his eyes before jumping nineteen barriers away from my comfort zone. I offer him my arm and say, “Care to walk with me?”

He skeptically hovers his arm near mine before taking it. “I would love nothing more than to take you for a walk. Perhaps you could tell me some more secrets you keep locked away.”

I don’t understand what’s happening, and I still don’t wanna. This isn’t me, and yet here I am; walking arm-in-arm with someone I barely know. I take a moment before finally answering,

“Yes, perhaps.”