Chapter 5

"Well, I won't even lie," Emily said while munching on her tuna sandwich. "You look like shit."

I glared at her. "Gee, thanks for stating the obvious. Em."

Emily didn't seem to catch the sarcasm in my tone. She just shrugged her shoulder casually and continued taking a bite from her food. "Always here to help you, whenever I can."

My eyes were still puffy from all the crying I did last night, and I didn't get much sleep. I'm pretty sure I've got dark circles under my eyes. On top of that, I just pretty much took the first clothes I saw in my closet, not bothering to see if my shoes matched my outfit. So yeah, I definitely did look like shit that day.

"Hey Ice Princess," a familiar voice said. A tray of food appeared on my left side, then Jasper slid flawlessly at the seat next to me. "I've got some good-"

Whatever he was about to say died when he saw my face. His eyebrows scrunched together, and concern filled his charcoal eyes.

"Nightmares?" He asked sympathetically.

Well, it started out as nightmares. But I ended up venting out all my anger to a white wolf. Which, by the way, seemed to understand everything I said. But I was so not going to tell him that. I didn't want to sound crazier than I felt. If I said that, who knows? I might just end up in an asylum. So instead of saying anything, I just gave him a quick nod.

He placed a comforting hand around my shoulder while giving me an encouraging smile. "You know I will always be here to protect you, right?"

That made me feel a tad better. I was so lucky to have a best friend like Jasper. I mean, seriously. He was funny, charming, protective, and sweet. He was all the good things rolled up in one person.

"Uh-oh," Emily said in a grim voice. I snapped my eyes away from Jasper and looked at Emily. "The Queen of bitchiness is on her way to the table of outcasts.."

I groaned and drag a hand down my face. "I am so not in the mood for her evilness."

Just then, Lara appeared in front of me. She gave Jasper a sweet smile, flipping her blonde hair to the back and puffing her chest out. You know, to subtly draw attention to her lady bits.

"Hey Jaspy-baby," Lara crooned. It's a lame nickname she bestowed to Jasper when they were still together. "I just thought I'd drop by to say hi."

Jasper gave her a tight smile.

Lara looked pleasantly surprised by my hideousness. "Oh my," she said, her voice sickly sweet. "You look absolutely horrible today."

I continued poking my pasta, not wanting to give her the satisfaction of ruining my mood. I am going to ignore her. I am going to ignore her. I am going to-

"You look like you've puked all morning," she paused. Then I could see an evil idea slowly forming in her mind. "Oh, I know what this is about. It's about your dead dad, right? Poor girl." She shook her head from left to right, showing her mock sympathy.

"Leave my dad out of this," I hissed venomously.

"Well it's the truth," she said, clearly pleased I took the bait. "He was ripped apart by wolves, right?"

I stood up from my chair and looked directly at her until we were nose to nose. I think she saw the murderous intentions in my eyes because she took a staggering step back. But she still kept her chin up defiantly.