Chapter 21

Days had passed ever since the incident that happened between Jasper and Alexei. Whenever Jasper tried to talk to me, I ignored him. I really felt hurt, seeing the pain in his eyes. But I was still mad at him. I was mad that he kept secrets from me. I felt betrayed.

Lara noticed the drift between Jasper and me, and I bet she was the happiest person in the world. I saw her shadowing Jasper's every move, trying to gain him back. But Jasper had been ignoring her advances so far.

I also kept my relationship with Alexei a secret from everyone.

Well, I mean, whatever this relationship is. I'm still not sure what Alexei and I are to each other. He never dropped the L word, plus, he didn't really ask me to be his. Whatever it is – I plan to enjoy it to the fullest. And hope it lasts for a long time.

Instead of hitching a ride with Jasper, I ride with Alexei now. Jasper once spotted me going in Alexei's car, and I saw the regret in Jasper's eyes. I immediately looked away. I couldn't stand seeing my best friend get hurt. No matter how mad I was at him, he was still my best friend. And I still cared for him too deeply.

When we got to my home, I noticed Jasper's Jeep Rover parked outside. Alexei frowned, not liking the fact that Jasper was in my house.

"What is he doing here?" He asked, his voice showing an edge of possessiveness.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Probably here to see if I'm okay."

He clenched his jaw, but he nods anyway. "As much as I hate to admit this, you're going to need his protection. But the moment that he lays a finger on you........" a growl erupted from his chest.

I put my hand on his shoulder, trying to take away the jealousy that he was feeling. "Jasper doesn't like me that way. Don't worry, he won't."

Alexei gave me an incredulous look, but doesn't say anything about it. Instead, he roughly kisses my lips. "Don't close your window. I'll try to be there at midnight. Can't get you out of my sight until we catch the black wolf. Don't go out near the woods, okay?"

I nodded, trying to make myself look strong. After that, I stepped out of the car. I watched the car, as it backed away from me. When the car was nothing but a tiny speck in the distance, I finally entered the cottage. Surprisingly, the door was not locked. I opened it slowly, trying to see what was happening. That's when I heard voices drift through the air.

"I think it's time to tell her the truth," Jasper insisted.

"No!" My mom exclaimed. "I forbid you to tell her anything!"
I suck in a breath; afraid they would hear me.

I heard Jasper make a frustrated sound. "But it's unfair! She already knows too much! She knows that werewolves exist. I think telling her the whole truth would be the right thing to do."

"No!" My mom repeated, more desperately this time. "I tried my best to give her a normal life, and I'm determined to give her just that! I can't....." her voice cracked. "I can't lose her, Jasper. I can't lose the only thing that matters to me."

I expected Jasper to back away after that. But instead, he said, his voice broken, "we're already losing her by keeping things from her."

I risked a glance towards the kitchen, and I saw tears streak down my mother's cheeks. "You have no idea what you're saying," she whispered. I immediately looked away, not being able to bear the sight of my mom crying.