Chapter 23

"Get your lips off her," someone growled from behind.

Jasper jumped away from me, surprised at the uninvited guest. I didn't have to look back to know it was Alexei. Every hair on my body stood up at the deadliness of Alexei's voice. Slowly, I turned my head back.

At the back of Alexei, the window was cracked open. A chilly wind entered the room, ruffling Alexei's already messy hair. His eyes were a bright yellow, and every muscle in his body was taunt. His hands were tight fists on his side, and his amber eyes were boring into Jasper's orbs. Guilt gnawed me as I looked at Alexei – perfect and utterly enthralling.

How could I possibly enjoy a kiss that isn't his?

Jasper's charcoal eyes glared at Alexei with the same intensity of hate. I cowered on my bed, not knowing what else to do.

"I don't want you guys to fight," I whispered weakly.

But neither of them listened to me. Instead, they both continued glaring at one another.

"What are you doing here?" Jasper demanded. His voice was as icy as a winter storm. He glanced towards the window. "What are you, a creep?"

"At least I don't force myself on others" Alexei spat. "Get out of her room before you regret it."

Jasper gave him a cruel smile. "Why will I take orders from a pooch?"

A growl emanated from Alexei's lungs, making way through his lips. "Get. Out."

But Jasper held his ground. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards him. I tried to push myself away from him, but he held on tighter to me.

"Jasper," I begged. "Let go." I looked up to Alexei, silently begging him not to hurt Jasper.

But Alexei had made up his mind.

Before I even knew what was happening, Jasper flied away from me. His head made a banging sound as it hit the hard wall.

Alexei grabbed Jasper's collar, and then started punching him.

I ran up to Alexei and tried to grab him by the back of his shirt. "Please, Alexei! Don't hurt him!"

But Alexei was more wolf than human. He refused to listen to my voice of reasoning. Instead, he was reaching out to that animalistic part of him. He pushed Jasper to the floor, and a groan escaped Jasper's lips as Alexei kicked him on the stomach.

"Stop!" I screamed. I yanked Alexei as hard as I could, and I made him face me. The moment our eyes meet one another, the vengeance in his eyes subsided. I rubbed my hand on his cheeks gingerly, trying to seep the madness away. He grabbed me in his arms and buried his head to the curve of my neck.

"You smell like him," he spat, his voice accusing.

"I'm sorry," I murmured. "I didn't except him to do this. Jasper never took advantage of me before."

Alexei's grip on me tightened, and I could feel his body quake in anger. "I'm going to kill him," he hissed, his voice dripping with malice.

"You're not a monster Alexei," I reminded him. "You know deep inside that you don't want to kill or hurt him."

There was a beat of silence, then a struggled breath. He looked me in the eye, his eyes full of insecurity and sadness.

"Do you love him?"

The question threw me. "Of course I love my best friend."

"You know that's not what I meant."

I blushed, knowing all too well what he means. I looked at Jasper, unconscious on the floor. What do I feel about Jasper, really? It did feel nice to kiss him. But there were no sparks... no electricity. It didn't have the same passion I felt for Alexei.

I looked up to Alexei's eyes. "I love him as a friend. That's all."

The look he gave me turned vulnerable. "Do you love me?"

I wanted to say yes. I really wanted to say yes. I wanted to crush my lips to his and indulge in his heavenly taste.

But I couldn't be with him.

Not when I just learned that I was a hunter. Not when thoughts of my dad being disappointed at me kept surfacing in my mind.

With these thoughts in my mind, I did the only thing that I think was the right thing to do. I shoved him back with my hands. "Go away Alexei."

"Wh-what?" He sounded shocked as I felt.

"Go away." I immediately turn away, not wanting him to see the tears that were already falling from my eyes.