016

y/n pov

it had been a month since since my mother passed. i was living in an apartment fifteen minutes away from greg's house. i sold the house so i would have money to pay for the apartment. i also started working full time at the diner. things were really weird for me. greg's girlfriend took up most of his time and i didn't have any other friends. i was still friends with the girls but never really saw them. rodrick and i would facetime me everyday and he was my outlet. i would always open up to him and he always tried to comfort me. he was my muse. i started painting these huge canvases and he would watch me paint while he studied. it was really comforting. october was rough for me. when november came around, things began to worsen. memories of my mother would haunt me in my sleep and i would wake up terrified. when greg found out he started coming over in the morning to make sure i was alright. he usually drove me to school. i really liked seeing him so often. it made me realize how much i missed him.

it was a sunday night and i was feeling really stressed. i decided that taking a bath would be the best thing for me. i was feeling really down and needed to get my mind off things. then i slid into the tub. as the water filled i looked down and judged myself. my arms were covered in scars. a frown appeared on my face as i touched a more recent one. i closed my eyes and leaned back, reminding myself of how good things would be when i was finally able to be with rodrick.when i got out, i changed into comfortable pajamas. the shirt belonged to my boyfriend. i smiled in the mirror at the sight, reminding myself of the night he gave it to me. it still smelled like him. i slid some panties on and got in bed. i drifted to sleep clinging to the feelings i felt in the tub. how i was finally able to make the pain stop.

i woke up to the sound of knocking at my door. i got up and walked over to it. my hair was a mess and flowed over my face. i opened the door and the sun shined brightly at me. "hey y/n right?" it was a man. maybe late teens early twenties? "yes that's me?" he smiled "want some coffee and a donut? my names zach, i just moved in next door and decided to buy this floor some breakfast!" i laughed a little "a bit cheery for six in the morning, don't you think?" he shrugged "positivity is key. you live alone?" i nodded "i want to get a pet soon but i'm not really in the right place for it." why am i sharing so much? he nodded "well i'm to the left of you if you ever need a friend." i smiled. "thanks for the breakfast zach. i'll see you around" he smiled and i waved as i closed the door. i clicked my lights on and sat down. 

the donut was good and i drank the coffee as i walked around. i grabbed a book and sat on my couch. i began reading when suddenly another knock shocked me. i drank some more of the coffee as i walked over. when i opened the door, greg was standing there smiling at me. "hey greggy." i smiled and he went to hug me. my arms hurt from yesterday so i lightly squeezed. "you okay?" i nodded and crossed my arms. "that's good. where'd you get the coffee?" i shrugged "new neighbor, zach. he uh- brought it over. he seems cool" he smiled. "have you talked to rodrick?" i shook my head. "no actually, not since friday." i sighed and shrugged "i'm sure he's just busy with school." he nervously chuckled "yeah totally." i motioned for him to sit. 

"so how's emily?" he smiled "she's good. very jealous of my mornings with you but what can i do. if she made me choose i'd pick you y/n. nothing could ever break our friendship up." i hugged him despite the pain in my arms. "greg i'm sorry" i started crying "what happened y/n?" i stepped back and pulled my sleeves up, his eyes widened. i looked at him as pure shock and terror snuck onto his face. "greg it hurts, being alone all the time. not having rodrick, not having my mom" i dropped my head down and cried "i can't do this." he hugged me "i'll move in with you, my mom will help pay rent and she'll come visit. she misses you" he stepped back and grabbed my shoulders.

"y/n you need to promise me you'll never ever do this again" i nodded and he pulled me close again. "i can't lose you. rodrick can't lose you." i nodded and held him. i wanted him to move in with me. i needed a friend. i miss the memories we shared. i miss how we used to be. i wanted him to stay with me. i needed someone. it was nice to have him. "can we go see your parents today?" he nodded. "i'll take you after school, spend the night" i nodded and smiled.

we walked to greg's car from the school building. i was wearing rodricks sweater and comfortable pants. as we walked up greg got pulled back "greg what the fuck! you're blowing me off for her?" my eyes got wide "oh hi emily" i half smiled and waved a little and my sleeve fell. i quickly fixed it and lowered my sore arm. "em she's going through a lot and she's my best friend. i've been seeing you more than her and it isn't fair" she scoffed "i'm you're girlfriend! that's not fair to me!" my eyes watered "greg i'm just gonna go home, i hope you guys work this out i'm sorry.." i start crying and walking away. i heard crying and foot steps. i felt a warm hand on my shoulder "y/n!" i turned to him "yes?" his watery eyes sparkled into mine. "she's making me choose." i closed my eyes and nodded "greg i love you with every ounce of life i have left, but she needs you. you need her."

i opened my eyes and tears rolled down my face "maybe it'll change" i put my hand on his cheek "maybe you wouldn't have to choose.. but you and emily are right for eachother. i feel it. don't forget about me greg. i want an invite to the wedding and i better be the god mother of those cute babies. i love you greggy. see you soon." i smiled and turned back around, walking home. it was lightly raining and then i got home and walked inside. i sat my stuff down and ordered chinese food for dinner.

"hey this is rodrick, leave a message at the beep" i sighed and placed the phone down on my dresser as i packed a bag full of stuff. "hey Rodrick. i'm gonna go away for a while. not forever but a good time. i'm gonna do what i need to do for myself and fix what i've done. i'll come back. i love you so much. please wait for me. i promise it won't be forever. just until i'm ready. i love you always, my sweet stupid dork. goodbye rodrick" i ended the call and packed my things up. i put it all in my car. when i turned around to walk inside one last time, zach was in my door way.