Deadly News

The doors to the Throne Room are wide open. I start to walk in, but I hear voices. The King and Liam are talking.
"Your Majesty. I don't think it is a good idea to inform the Princess of this. She won't take it well. I-" Liam's voice is crisp.
"I did not ask for your opinion! I have to tell her-" I walk inside and Dad is sitting atop his red-cushioned throne.
"Ah! Congratulations! You have grown your wings. They are magnificent!" He says quickly, changing topics and motions for Liam to leave.
"No. You stay. I need to talk to you. Both." They exchange nervous glances.
"First, what did you want to tell me?" I cross my arms, waiting for an answer.
"Well, you see. Your mother, well she-" Liam struggles but Dad finished for him.
"Is kidnapped by our enemy. We are sending out troops, for she is our Queen." I step back. I feel as if I have just been slapped across the face. Before I know what I am saying, I speak.
"I'm going with them."
"Um, no-"
"No you-" they both protest, I cut them off.
"And it's final. I'll see you tonight when the troops leave." I stalk out of the room, leaving the boy and my dad to argue.

Tears in her eyes, Janet packs a bag for me. The decision was made that I would train and then leave in a month. As long as my mom can hold on, she will be fine. I put on the heavy, rusty armor. It is covered with intricate designs, curls and whorls of lines and gems. Lizzie rushes over, always making sure I look my best.
"I'm just training, I'm not leaving yet," Lizzie sniffles when I say 'yet', she knows it won't be long until it will be truth.
"Just . . . take care of yourself. We will always be your . . . family." Lizzie smiled and Janet nodded. I looked at the two girls and I knew just how much they loved me.

I walk along side Liam on my way to the training room. I look at him through the corner of my eyes, he doesn't say a word.
"Sooooooooooo, where we going?" I ask, trying to ease off the awkwardness. Although, I wouldn't call this awkward since he always acts like this.
"To the Pen. That's where you will train to fight. Your mother is captured, you must be the one to save her. Also, once we find out your talent and power, we may be able to train you to use it." he quickens his pace, and surprisingly, I don't have any trouble matching his long strides.
"And how do know they won't kill her in the month that I train?" the tears threaten to burst as I think of the horrid things that could be happening to her.
"Because we know the enemy all too well." and he takes off, jogging the rest of the way down the old dirt path.

We arrive at the Pen. It is a big cement building, no windows and no doors. There are open arches along the sides for doors. Inside, the floor is smooth and cold, there are punching bags in one corner, weights scattered in another, and groups of muscular men and women conversing while training in the center.
"Come over here and let me see your best punch." he leads me to a punching bag. I can feel the eyes of the other trainers on my back. I look to Liam and he nods. It's just a punch, right? I can punch, I've had to punch a kid who was picking on my bother, and he went home with a broken nose. I breathe, in, out, and in again. I take in the punching bag, the rips on the side and the yellow foam spilling out. The paint is pealing off its surface, and that's when I feel it. Something surging through me, slicing through my blood and veins, through my fingers and into my lungs, choking out my air. I try to breathe but pain sears through my chest. White light blinds me and I punch. The bag flies off the chain and right into the wall. It splits and sand pours from the wound. I look at my hand and there isn't even a scratch. I turn to Liam and he is staring, jaw open, like an idiot, right along with everyone else in that room.
"Come with me," is all he says as he drags me back into the daylight.

"We know what your power is now." Liam paces outside the pen.
"What is the big deal? I super-punched a punching bag, what's so crazy about that? I have a talent now." I step in front of him so he stops pacing.
"Your power is very strong, May - uh- Maddie. You need to learn to control it. Even if it can help on the battlefield, it is very dangerous. We need a Power One. We need a Powe-"
"Stop! What is a 'Power One'? Liam, calm down its okay, I-"
"No! Don't you understand? This power can kill you, Maddie! Don't you see? Maddie, I-" and then he kissed me. He grabbed my face and kissed me. My face heated up, maybe from the surprise, or from his radiating warm. His kiss was full of desperation and fear, he really loved me. I pull away and my body instantly cools.
"We need to find a Power One." he says and he runs off, leaving me to wait there in confusion.

It starts to get dark and Liam still hasn't returned. I decide to go back to the house and wait for Liam there. The trees seem to glow in the moonlight, and the flowers twinkle like the stars. I hear a branch break and I whirl to see Arjan, standing there, hands in his pockets.
"Hello, lovely," He says coming closer, "Where'ya headed?" I look into his eyes.
"Home. What are you doing out this late?"
"Oh, Honey, it's not late, it's only 8 o'clock! I didn't know you and Liam, were... uh-"
"We're not... uh, that was nothing." I instantly become embarrassed knowing someone had seen.
"So does that mean I can do this?" He slips his hand into mine. I smile and his eyes sparkle. He takes my other hand and leans his forehead on mine.
"I've been waiting for a very long while to do this. Your eyes are, beyond amazing." he smiles, sending a chill down my spine. He was truly handsome, adorable and wonderful. I hate myself for thinking it, but I love him.
"I know I kind of just met you, but-"
I start, but he finishes, "It feels like we've know each other for years. I know." and just as I thought I already melted, I melted even more when he pressed his lips against mine. His kiss was eager and forceful, but I kissed back.
After who knows how long, we pulled away and parted ways. But this moment changes everything, because I finally found someone I can trust.