Just Girls

The sunlight streaming through the porthole-like window wakes me from my sleep. I look to the floor and Janet is still soundlessly sleeping. I sigh and roll to my back.
My last day of normal.
I drag myself out of bed and to Janet's closet. I choose a plain, fitted blue top and and dark blue skinny jeans. I fold the night dress neatly and place it on the bed. I dress quickly and brush my hair. I grab a few crackers from the kitchen and write a note.
Just exploring! Thanks for the clothes... I'll be back for breakfast.
~Mads
I sign my name 'Mads', what Amber used to call me. I miss Amber... and Andy. Andy! I totally forgot! He might think I ran away, or- or anything! At least Grams and Gramps are there... maybe Dad will cover for me since apparently he goes to the human world everyday for the morning and for dinner. I sigh and open the door. Liam is standing there, fist in the air, ready to knock. Surprise flashes across his face. He lowers his hand quickly.
"Oh, hi... I need to talk to you. Privately." He looks behind me and sees no one there. I follow him to a pond. The leaves and grass rustle and the water ripples in the wind. The pond is a far walk from Lizzie's and I'm out of breath. He settles on a rock and I sit on the ground below him. He doesn't talk for what seems like forever, so I decide to say something.
"How did you know I was drowning? Were you... following me?" I look to the ground. If he was following me because of my Dad...
"Yes, I was following you." he says, but that's all. I continue to talk.
"Well, do-" he cuts me off.
"Listen. I am scared. I am so extremely scared that I am falling in... never mind. I'm sorry. I have to go." He stands and leaves. I so badly wanted him to grab me and say 'I love you' and to tickle me, and whisper words into my hair and us laughing together and in love. I stand to go, my mind still dreaming. I here the grass crunch. I turn around and someone is standing there. A man. Probably about Liam's age. He has smooth carmel skin and dark liquid brown eyes. His wings are black as night, and his smile is a delicate, caring smile.
"Who are you? I've seen you around. You're Maddie, right? The King's daughter?" his eyes run down my body then back to my face.
"Yes," is all I say. He looks into my eyes.
"Well, I am Arjan. Nice to meet you." He sits on the rock where Liam sat minutes before. I sit back on the ground and look up at him. I smile.
"Well, what's your power?" I ask curious. How harmful can he be? Everyone around here seems kind enough, why would he be any different?
"I can swim, climb, run etc. at an amazingly fast speed. I see you aren't of age?" He looks at me, disappointed almost.
"I'm turning 17 tomorrow," I say quickly.
"I hope I'm invited to your party." he smirks, I laugh and say, "Sure! You can come. It'll be at the palace I'm sure."
"I'll see you there." He touches my arm and runs away and is gone in half a second. I smile and I don't stop smiling until I get back to the cottage.

"Maddie! You're back!" Janet squeals from the doorway.
"I told you I'd be back for breakfast!" I say.
"Breakfast? It's time for lunch!" and with that she grabs plates and sets them all out on the table. I must have been with Arjan much longer than I thought. Just thinking of him made me smile again. I take my spot at the table. Lizzie serves peanut-butter bread with apples.
"I have another dress for you, unless you want to go buy one-" Lizzie says, Janet cuts her off.
"I'll take her! We can pick out dresses for her ball tonight!!!" she squeals and Lizzie smiles.
"Okay, you girls go right ahead."
"I can pay, for both I mean, I'm sure my dad won't mind." I say looking at Lizzie and then to Janet.
"No, we-"
"It's fine, really," I smile and nod my head. Lizzie takes my hand.
"Thank you," she smiles and then eats her bread. "You girls can go right after lunch!"

The dress makers' is not far from Lizzie's. Anna and daughter is printed on a sign that hangs above the door to the small cottage. It looks just like Lizzie's, only taller. We walk inside, and the place is just gorgeous. Dresses and gowns, intricate lamps and pictures, it was beautiful.
A stout woman comes from a back room and a thin, tall girl follows close behind.
"Welcome to Anna's! What are you looking for today?" She has green wings and grey hair. Her wings are very small, I don't know how she could carry herself while flying. Janet seemed to think the same thing because she stared at the old woman like she had two heads. I elbowed her. The daughter had navy blue wings that weren't very large either, but they were somewhat proportional.
"We are here for ball gowns." I answer looking around the room. There are big dresses, and small ones, long, short, green, blue, red. A platform is on the ground and around it are sewing tools.
"Ah! Let's get you measured. Are you interested in custom, or pre-made?" the old woman asks.
"Custom, please." I say.
"Come here, Sweets. Stand here. Lila! You get the other young lady over there." she motions for me to step on the platform and then for Janet to stand on the other. The old woman starts to measure me. She made us put on thin under garments, for gowns, for the measuring. She picks out purple and gold fabrics for me and green fabrics for Janet. The two women start sewing away and soon we will have two beautiful, custom made dresses.

Hours later, they were finished. I turned to look at Janet. Her jade-green dress embroidered with purple threads look beautiful against her skin and purple wings. Her green eyes shone brighter, reflecting the gold. My gown, was a deep purple with gold threads. My white hair stood out against the dark colors and my eyes sparkled. The sweet-heart neckline with draped sleeves were beautiful and it puffed out and touched the floor. Janet squealed and started to cry.
"It beautiful. Thank you so much!" she laughed and turned back to look in the mirror. They were, truly, amazing. I couldn't wait for my 'supposed' ball tonight. Apparently all royal families have balls for their 'coming of age' children the night of their changing. Janet looked amazing in her dress. We were having so much fun, the past few days I forgot that we were just girls. Girls who love to do girly things. Like falling in love, buying frilly clothes, and having best friends.
My golden heals and Janet's purple ones make the dresses even better. I look at the clock and we have 15 minutes until 8 o'clock. Lizzie said to meet her there, so we have to hurry. Janet realizes this as well.
"The Royal Highness will pay for these dresses, I will make sure, for I am the Princess, whose ball we are headed to now. You can come if you'd like!" I say and we head out. We call for a carriage and we go on our way to the palace gates.