Power One

The sun's rays beat down on me and sweat trickles down my back. Seasons change fast in this world, it's already 90 degrees outside. An elderly woman peers into my eyes. Her hair is black with silver streaks, and laugh-wrinkles line the outsides of her eyes. Her hazel eyes sparkle with a happy past. She is a Power One. Liam said she would be able to help me identify how my power is so strong and how to control it.
"Your soul is hard to read. May I see your Source?" the woman says. I dig into my pocket to find the stone. It's warm in my hand as I watch it shimmer. Placing it in the woman's hand, the shimmer fades. A sharp tug in my gut makes me cry out.
"It is just reacting to a new touch. It thinks it's in danger, but it's not. Don't worry, relax, and it will relax." She turns the stone over in her hand as she says this. The stone shimmers blue again, but instantly the old woman cries out and drops the stone, falling to the ground as well. Liam rushes to her and I grab my stone.
"I had a vision. You are the One. You have come to save us!" something clouds her eyes that I can't read. "You have the power of the elements, mostly water and fire, but also some wind and the least of earth. You are here to save us, you are her to . . ." the woman stops mid-sentence and collapses back to the floor. Liam scoops her up and runs out the door. I am the One. The one in the legends, the one who would save the world of Difference from a terrible fate, the one who would destroy the monsters who now have my mother. The one the world is depending on. The last thing I saw was Arjan, as I fell into a deep, deep darkness.

******

"We have to train her! She can use this against the Enemy! You don't understand that-" I open my eyes to a slit to see Liam and my father arguing about my powers and what to do with me.
"No, you don't understand that this will put her in harms way!" Liam's voice bellows. I am too exhausted to pay too much attention to their conversation. I close my eyes and a rush of memories come back to me from when I was brought back to the castle. Arjan lifting me, kissing my forehead, stroking my hair, carrying me down a road. Liam coming from a different road, telling Arjan to back off, and taking me from him. I feel a longing for Arjan's touch again, but the memories keep coming. Now I am in the hospital wing of the palace, they give me some meds and then I'm sent off with a glass of water. I lay here now with Liam and my father, and no idea where Arjan went. My mind is jumbled as I think about who I am. One night Janet had told me the legends of the mysterious someone who would save the world from the monsters who now are plotting war against us. They have my mother. The legend says that the one who has the power of the world will defeat the Enemy. They will become the ruler of the Land of Difference and restore peace in the worlds. If the war gets too out of hand, humans from the Real World might find out of the other worlds, and this won't be good. At the thought of Earth, my heart stops.
Andy!
I have to get back to Earth, and bring my little brother back to this land. Grams and Gramps too. I need them safe, they must think I've died! The thoughts terrifies me, so I quickly get up, and then quickly regret that decision. My head sears with pain and nausea ripples through my body.
"I have to get back to Earth," I say fighting the nausea threatening to take hold, "I need to get Andy." The two men just stand there like idiots, not knowing how to react. So I stand up and stumble out. Liam catches up in three strides and grabs my elbow.
"You can't go." he says.
"I have to."
"You'll put them in danger." he hisses.
"I'll be quick."
"You can't go alone."
"Then Arjan can come." I glare at him.
"No, I'm coming with you."
"Fine. We are leaving now."
"Not so fast-"
"Now." I was in no mood for arguing.