ONC 2021 AFRICA

For the past month, we've been giving hints of an upcoming contest. A number of you guessed right. Three gbosas for y'all who did!💃🏽

Here's what you need to know about ONC:

What is ONC?

The Open Novella Contest aka ONC is a collaborative project spanning different corners of the Ambassador-run profiles. The ONC has one goal in mind - encouraging novella writing.

What is a novella?

Novellas are a form of prose fiction that is longer and more complex than short stories, but not as long as a novel. For this contest, we are looking for anything between 20,000 and 40,000 words.

Which profiles are participating?

Twelve separate language communities across the Ambassador-run profiles are hosting their own Open Novella Contest in their language/nationality community. 

Can I get contest details?

Each participant will be given a vast range of writing prompts to choose from that the African team has crafted. The prompts are designed to be broad enough so that they are open to interpretation, giving each writer the opportunity to create something original and unique. We ask that your story have clear African themes and characters.

The contest follows a schedule, which contains three rounds, and you will be challenged to reach a certain word count milestone for each round.

Round 1 - 2,000-word milestone

Round 2 - 8,000-word milestone

Round 3 - 20,000-word milestone

The writing period will last a total of 13 weeks, from February 1st, 2021 to May 2nd, 2021.

What about the prizes?

Every participant who reaches a milestone will receive a sticker for their story cover. Round winners will receive a winner sticker specifically for that round. First place round winner will receive a custom cover for their novella from our graphics team and a shout-out from all collaborating Ambassador profiles! 

Who is Hosting the Contest?

This is the very first ONC Naija will be participating in, and it's in collaboration with AmbassadorsAF, AmbassadorsNG, and AmbassadorsAfrikaans! AmbassadorsAF is the profile hosting the contest, and all your submissions will be made via that profile

What Languages are Accepted?

For now, only stories written in English and Pidgin will be accepted.

That's all for now. Do not forget to head over to AmbassadorsAF to know the latest on ONC '21 Africa, and how you can bring your very own Naija-flavoured story into the mix.