Chapter 6

When Eleanor woke up the next morning, Minho was long gone.

She could barely recall him laying her down on her sleeping bag in the middle of the night. She must've not been completely concious, so she couldn't be sure if it had actually happened. But it must have, because she woke up to the warmth of her sleeping bag around her body.

She groggily smiled. Sometimes it was hard to see it, but Minho actually had a heart.

She groaned as she turned, trying to get away from the faint sunlight. It didn't really work. She knew she had to get up but she didn't want to leave the warmth of her covers. She felt the fabric of her jeans pressing into her hipbone and she immediately regretted falling asleep without changing her attire.

She extended her arm out of the bag, the cold hitting her skin like tiny needles, and quickly retrived some spare clothes from the small backpack she kept next to her sleeping place.

She proceeded to change her clothing inside of the sleeping bag, something she had become surprisingly good at. When one lives in a secluded place with forty boys, one has to learn those things.

When she arrived at the Kitchens she was bummed to find that Minho had already left for his Runner obligations. She must've slept in more than usual.

She sat down in one of the few empty tables once she had grabbed a plate of food.

Still feeling sleepy, she waited no time to start eating. She was so hungry she felt like her own stomach was devouring itself from the lack of food.

After everything that had happened the previous night, she had fallen asleep without eating anything at all.

When she was almost finished, she started to feel a bit better.

A noise in front of her made her snap her gaze from her food to the person standing there. She was surprised to see that one of the builders was taking a seat across the table from her. Looking around, she found the rest of the tables were mostly full by then, so it wasn't really that odd.

"Hey, Eleanor." He said shyly.

She looked at him surprised that he was actually talking to her.

"Hey, Joe." She replied, her tone unsure.

He was a young boy, around fourteen. He had a round face full of freckles and he tended to have a scared look on him. He looked like the child he was. His complexion, however, didn't match it. He was tall, and his shoulders were decently wide, he looked quite strong. Probably the reason why he was a builder.

She knew him. He was Gally's friend, or at least he used to be, before the accident. She had hung around him and his friends a few times, but he had never spoken to her, not directly. She felt clueless as to why he was doing so that morning.

"How are you?" It sounded like he was scared to talk to her.

"I'm... good." She replied, kind of awkwardly. "How are you?"

"Good." He replied, nodding his head slightly, with a small smile.

Eleanor could tell he wanted to say something else. He kept pushing the food around his place with his fork, and that was weird in itself because those boys devoured any food as if it were their last day on earth. But, she had also caught him opening and closing his mouth a few times, like he wanted to say something but had stopped himself.

She decided not to pressure him. If he wanted to say something, he would.

So she kept eating her breakfast, even though his nervousness was making her anxious.