Chapter 15

"It was you. You've been spying on me."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Gally said, his tone adopting his usual angry tone.

He had been behaving like a normal, functioning human being only a few minutes before, but he was soon back behind his normal brooding farçade. However, Eleanor at that moment knew that was all it was, an act. 

He used that voice that made Eleanor want to turn around and leave. She knew that's what he wanted her to do. He wanted her to be scared of him so she would leave him alone, so he wouldn't have to hear what she had to say.

She forced herself to stand her ground.

"Yes. Yes, you do."

"Why would I spy on you?"

He was full on glaring at her then and, even though she knew he was just trying to intimidate her, she was finding it harder to return his stare.

"You tell me," Eleanor forced herself to reply, feeling less and less brave with each passing second. "'cause that's what you were doing."

"Oh, really? Have any proof?"

The taller boy looked almost mocking. Eleanor was starting to feel a familiar knot forming in her throat.

She closed her eyes, willing herself to be strong, to be brave... for once. Although she felt exhaused and confused, too much had happened in so little time.

"I know it was you." She said accusingly. "I just want to know why."

"There's no reason because it did not happen. I don't care what you do." 

He took a step towards Eleanor, towering over her. 

It took all in her not to flinch at the new proximity. 

"I don't care about you."

Eleanor felt like an air-knocking punch had hit her stomach.

Then, she was irritated.

He didn't get to have the power to make her feel that way, not anymore, not after everything he'd done to her. 

She was so sure it had been him following her around the Dead-heads. She was not about to let him make her doubt herself.

"If you didn't care, you wouldn't have pushed that boy away." She stated, her angry tone now matching his. "I don't know why you keep acting like you don't care but you don't fool me, not this time."

"I don't care about you."

"Then stop acting like you do!" She yelled, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

She turned around before they could, quickly walking away before he saw her tears. She cursed herself for being so volatile.

Useless, she thought, why can't you ever stand your ground?

She had soon reached her sleeping spot.

With nothing else to do but try to sleep, she laid down on her sleeping bag and watched the night pass through her open lids and a knot in her stomach. Her mind replaying that night events time and time again.

After a few weeks, Eleanor wished she could say she had gotten over the dare and her altercation with Gally.

Life in the Glade resumed back to normal for Eleanor, with the addition of the new Green-bean who gave her someone to talk to at lunch time- Well, more like someone to listen to. Boy! Could the Shank talk!