Chapter 12

She ran in the woods. 

She was getting stronger, faster. But she didn't run to be fast. She ran to vent. 

She had learned to love the adrenaline, the blood pumping in her ears, her head feeling hot and her legs screaming for her to stop when she took it too far. It was like therapy in a way.

Eleanor was more than glad she had asked Minho for advice because it really did work. And it also didn't hurt to have something to be proud of for once in her life, or at least the amount of life she remembered. 

It was surprising that no one had noticed her escaping to the safety of the forest and coming back hours later red faced and drenched in sweat. 

Eleanor had thought someone would have noticed it by then, but they were boys. They wouldn't notice something different with her even if she'd grown another head. And the only ones who ever paid little to none attention to her were the Runners, and they were still out in the Maze. Well, and Newt, she guessed. But he was usually pretty busy. She knew Zart wouldn't even bother to think about her. He was more than glad to forget about her as soon as she left her working place.

That day, running was specially exhilarating. She felt like she really needed it. That was why she had taken the chance to sneak into her safe spot as soon as possible. She didn't even care if someone saw her that day. She needed her therapy. 

It was a lot easier for her to ingore the fact that someone had sent children to a secluded unsolvable puzzle with electronical monsters lurking around when she was in the middle of the woods. Those things didn't exist when she ran. She was free when she ran. She decided her route. She controlled her life. Although, she knew that illusion would inevitably vanish as soon as she stepped out of the trees. 

It probably wasn't the healthiest thing to do either, to pretend something wasn't real, but it helped. Therefore, lying to herself was good enough for Eleanor.

She was in the middle of her last lap when she noticed it again. The glint of gold. 

She had seen it a few times before but always attributed it to a trick of the evening sun rays. 

However, this time she was sure, she had seen it. Before she had time to make a decision, her feet were already carrying her over.

She almost screamed as she felt something on her boot but quickly caught herself when she realized it was a simple Beetle-blade. It was a stupid name, that was for sure, but Glader slang was never known to be very original. She guessed it was a fitting name, as good as any. At least, that's what Minho called them. To her, they looked more like cockroaches than beetles, but the blade part was definetly right. She had a scar on her finger to prove it.

 She was quick to continue her search for something gold. She didn't like those things one bit and she was more than happy to put some distance between her and those little robots.

That was when she heard a rustling in the leaves. 

She had been so focused on what she was seeing, she hadn't stopped to listen. It sounded like someone walking, or running most likely. 

The girl didn't hesitate on changing her path and speeding her pace. The mysterious golden glimmer forgotten.

She forced herself to go faster, but the footsteps were always one step ahead and too far to distinguish anyone. 

She tried to get her legs to move faster, but they were already screaming for her to stop after her long run. 

Eleanor had no doubts, however, it was definetly someone. So she did not stop.