X

"Oh my god." I muttered as soon as we got to the basement. On the walls were racks full of guns and knives. At the end of the room there were three targets for shooting practice. Boxes of bullets were strewn throughout the room, and there were some individual bullets on the floor. What frightened me the most, however, were the dark splotches on the ground. I felt Ryan staring at them too. We both knew what they were, or at least I thought I did, but no one wanted to say it.

"Wow." I heard Ryan say from beside me. "And what did your brothers say they do, again?"

"Nothing, that's the problem. They just told me that it's the 'family business.'" I replied.

"That's odd. Maybe you should ask them." He suggested.

"Are you kidding?! If I do that, they'll know I came down here when they explicitly told me not to. Who knows what kind of trouble I'll be in."

"Let's go upstairs. Greta will be home soon." I continued, practically running back up the stairs. I hated being down there. The blood and guns terrified me.

Ryan and I sat at the kitchen island and did homework together until Greta got home. A little while after that, Ryan left and I snacked on an apple while talking to Greta.

"Greta, do you know what my brothers do for a living?"

"Oh, I'm not sure I'm supposed to tell you that, dear." She replied, chuckling a bit.

"Why not? I'm their sister, I deserve to know."

"They'll tell you in time. Don't ask about it, though. It's a sensitive topic."

Just then, the front door opened and Vincent and Elijah walked in. I was a little apprehensive of them after what I saw in the basement, but I still managed to give them small smiles.

"Hey, Diamond. How was your day today?" Elijah asked.

"Good."  I replied, looking at Vincent questioningly. He didn't even bring up the group project I asked him to work on, which meant he probably didn't tell Elijah or any of the other brothers. He gave me a nod before retreating into his office, and I left for my room.

Me: That was crazy what we found today

Ryan: Yeah it was. I wonder if your brothers will ever tell you

Me: I kinda want to ask them but I know it'll be a bad idea

Me: Anyways I'll see you at school tomorrow. I'm gonna catch up on some studying

Ryan: Sucks for you

Me: Laugh all you want but I'm planning on getting into Harvard's law program

Ryan: Yeah yeah ;) see you tomorrow

Me: See ya

I pulled out my SAT prep books and started working through them. I was pretty good at school, but I know colleges care more about standardized test scores, and I really needed to improve on the math section of the SAT. The reading and writing I'm good at - I could probably get a perfect score - but math is a bit of a struggle.

After about an hour I heard Greta call for dinner. Zander and Xavier were at the table already eating, and Greta told me the rest of the brothers were busy. I ate quickly and went back upstairs. After reading a bit of my book, The Kiss of Deception, I put it away and went to bed.

The next day at school

"Class, today we have a new student, Hunter Gordon. Everyone welcome him." Mrs. Belle announced to the class. Ryan and I stopped mid-convo to look at the front of the room.

"Hey guys." Hunter said, a wide grin on his face.

"Hunter, go sit in the back next to Diamond." Mrs. Belle instructed. Hunter settled down in the seat next to me.

"Hello, I'm Hunter." He said, holding his hand out to me.

"I'm Diamond, nice to meet you." I replied, shaking it. Mrs. Belle started the class, and I turned back to my worksheet. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Ryan with a sour look on his face, and I turned to him and gave him a questioning look. He just ignored me, so I turned back to the board.

After class

As soon as the bell rang, Ryan quickly packed up his bag and left the room.

"Ryan, wait!" I said, running up to him. He stopped and let me catch up to him.

"What happened in there? You looked annoyed after Hunter came in." I asked him.

"He just makes me suspicious." He answered.

"What makes you suspicious?" Came a voice. I turned around and saw Hunter standing behind me, apparently listening to our conversation. Ryan's eyes narrowed into slits.

"Nothing. Now if you don't mind, we'll be on our way." He said, grabbing my arm and practically dragging me down the hall. I looked at Hunter and saw a frown on his face. Ryan stopped in the library.

"What was that for? You don't need to be so rude to him." I said, crossing my arms.

Ryan sighed. "Can we not talk about this?" He asked. "I wanted to ask you if you wanted to come somewhere with me after school."

"Where?"

"It's a surprise. Just say you can come."

"I need to ask my Vince, and if he knows it's with you he'll most definitely say no."

"Just say you're with Raina or something. Please Diamond."

"Fine, fine. Let me text Raina."

Me: Hey Raina, I need a favor

Raina: What is it?

Me: Ryan and I are going somewhere after school, and I need you to cover for me. I'm gonna tell Vince that I'm going to your house to study.

Raina: Oooh, just you and Ryan huh ;)

Me: Yes but nothing is gonna happen. Just say you'll do it.

Raina: Yeah I will. Have fun!

Me: Thanks Raina! I owe you

I quickly texted Vince if I could go to Raina's house, who, with some begging, agreed. I told him that Raina's mom would drive me. Xavier and Zander didn't come to school today, so Vince sent the chauffeur to pick me up. Vince told me he sent the chauffeur home and that I must be home by 8. I turned off my phone and looked at Ryan.

"She said she'd cover for me and Vince said it was okay." I said with a grin. Ryan smiled back.

"How will we be getting there?"

"My bike of course."

"Your what?!"

Hope you enjoyed! Next chapter will be out sometime next week. Follow my instagram rosydreamsxoxo for updates on my writing! Don't forget to vote, comment, and share :) xoxo

- Nina <3

P.S. this is Hunter 

 this is Hunter