twenty-one. here lie my daddy issues. rest in peace. where's the milk?

In this moment, there is no other word to describe her but hot. 

                       Although, that might be the burning warehouse behind us. 

                      (Well . . . okay, fine, who am I kidding? She's hot in both ways.)

                       "Let me down," I protest weakly into Veah's shoulder. "I can walk."

                       Actually, I can barely even breathe.

                       And if I'm not mistaken . . . there is something alive on Veah's face. Something in her eyes that reminds me of the fire behind us. There is an almost-grin on her mouth, and a kind of delirium in the shine of her gaze.

                       Crazy, I think. She is crazy.

                       Every time we've been in a life-threatening situation―that high-speed car chase, the airport, the truck driver―she has seemed . . . no, it's not happy. 

                       She thrives, I realize. She thrives in chaos. 

                       What did it mean, when Imai mentioned Project Basilisk? Why did he want me to hack the Wyvern? 

                        "Kaya!" Tommy cries. "You're alright!"

                        I push Veah's shoulder―I doubt she barely feels it―and say, "Let me down. I'm fine." 

                       I don't think I've ever been this close to her―besides the time we kissed. Wrapped in her embrace, my head against her chest. Her fingertips curl protectively over my shoulder. 

                       She―she smells like cherries.

                       "Where is everyone? Are they okay?" I ask, as Veah follows Tommy into the Underground. By the time we get to the medical ward, everyone has been taken care of―including Cassie.

                       "Kaya!" she sobs. There is a bandage on her temple and one secured over her hand. Covering what must be . . . what must be . . .

                        "Are you okay?"

                        "I thought you were dead!"

                        Finally, Veah lets me down. When my feet touch the floor, I stumble forwards, right into Kaya. Collapsing against her. She holds me as I weep, stroking her pink hair. "Cassie . . . Cassie . . . this was all my fault."

                      "Don't you dare say that," Cassie murmurs into my neck. "We're alive. We're both alive."

                     "Thanks to Veah," I mumble.

                     "I'm going to miss you," Cassie says, and when I pull back slightly to look at her face, I feel the dampness her tears have left behind.

                      "Why are you going to miss me? I'm not going anywhere."

                      Cassie shakes her head. "Kaya, you still have to leave. To fake your death."

                      At that, I see the green-eyed girl's head snap up. Jude. Interest―silhouetting her gaunt, weary features. There are two girls cocooned tightly in her grip.