twenty-nine. spoiler alert: we fuck

"You know, saying something like that really makes a girl swoon," I say.

                     "Thank God." Veah's eyes are blazing now. Droplets of water cling to her lashes, and I can see the storm that circles her eyes. "I was beginning to worry I had lost my charm."

                    She is so beautiful. God had no right making her with a face like that.

                    And that body . . . well, I can't blame God for that. Because the sight of her hips, her taut stomach―it's enough to make me a sinner.

                     "No, don't worry," I promise. "It's pretty romantic, you know, when the entirety of the Japanese Mafia are chasing after you."

                      "I figured that would win your heart over."

                      "Oh, it did," I say, savouring the way her eyes darken. "And I . . ."

                      I can't breathe.

                      The intensity of her stare makes everything fade away―the glow of the pool, the heat of the water, the swirl of the smoke.

                       All that's left is her.

                       I trust her. And―more than that.

                       "Earlier," I blurt out. "When Skullcrusher kissed you, I―I was jealous. And later, when we were in the rain, and you told me you liked me, I . . ." I had a random thought about my sex dream. "What I really meant to say was that I like you, too."

                       A grin sharpens the corner of her mouth.

                      "Fuck," I groan. If I don't say it now, I never will. And all in a breath, it rushes out. "Okay, that was a lie, too. What I really meant to say was that I'm falling for you. Hard."

                       For a moment, a brief fraction of a second, there is no response.

                       Maybe she doesn't feel the same way.

                       Maybe she doesn't actually like me.

                       Maybe everything is a lie and I'm actually in the Matrix and nothing is real and―

                       Veah crushes her mouth to mine, and it is everything I've been waiting for.

                       Her fingers curl into my hair, with one hand cupping my ass. She pulls me towards her suddenly, the water splashing between us.

                       My words evaporate along with my ability to breathe.

                       Cherry and rain and desire. 

                       I kiss her until I can't get enough air, and then I keep kissing her, because who the fuck needs oxygen when you've just declared your love for the girl you're probably going to marry?

                       Okay, slow down, my common sense says. Marriage is a little extreme.

                       Everything in me narrows to the sensation of her hand on my backside. I never knew it until now, but I think my entire life amounts to this moment: a pretty girl squeezing my ass. I can't get enough of her; my hands roam her bare skin, tracing the contours of her steam-damp skin, her slick curves. "Veah,"  I moan into her mouth, and she answers with a growl of her own. Something possessive, something that makes my legs tighten around her hand.