It's Different this time

"When I was at the department, there were two things I hated in this world," His dad began to ramble, "Private Investigators and Psychics"

"Thank you very much, it actually happened on accident." Shawn responded quietly.

"As on accident, he means he almost got arrested so he lied to get his way out" I spoke up, munching on a french fry watching the two awkwardly converse with each other.

"What are you going to do when you get caught" His dad asked.

"I'm not going to get caught" Shawn instantly answers.

"Yes, well it seems as if your girlfriend here already figured you out, so how do you expect no one else too."

"I'm just observant" I shrugged, looking back at his dad. "Plus like he said, he won't get caught"

"And you are sure of this?"

"I won't let him get caught" I reworded, looking back towards Shawn, "I'm in too deep now. You get caught, there's a chance I will get caught too."

"In other words, she just wants to keep me around" He winked, causing me to smile at his words.

"Shawn, this is just like everything else. 3 months from now, you will be doing something completely different. You'll be in a whole new state, starting a new life."

My smile had fallen slightly at his words. I tried to cover up my changed expression, but Shawn had already caught it, putting a comfortable hand on my thigh.

"It's not like that this time!" He defends himself, quickly looking over to me, "I'm not going anywhere."

He takes a deep breath and looks back at his dad, keeping his hand on my leg. "Are you even listening to me, I finally found my calling. I can finally use my gift. You should be thrilled, you made me this way."

"If you are doing so well, why did you come to me for help?" He sarcastically asked.

"You think I came to you for help-"

"Uhm, we did come to you for help" I cut Shawn off.
"There was no ransom note"

His dad smirked and looked between us, "I'm not going to be a part of this."

"Come on" Shawn whines, "Here us out."

"Okay.. no ransom note" He says to himself, "So what, big deal."

"This guy wanted it done quickly, I know that" Shawn responded.

"Well then you had to of missed something" He thinks out loud. "Maybe you aren't as sharp as you thought you were.

"I am the sharpest I have ever been" Shawn said matter-of-factly.

"Close your eyes then."

I looked at Shawn confused as he rolled his eyes and did as his father said.

"How many hats are in the room?"

My eyes immediately look around.

"Okay, fine. I'm not counting the one in your pocket."

6 hats.

Shawn immediately started to name off each hat easily, giving a description as well to each person wearing them. He even managed to call out the one person who had already left the restaurant. Catching me by surprise.