6. Flightless bird

Finally, the Spring Interhigh Qualifiers were taking place. Karasuno and many other teams had trained very hard and overcame the dissapointment of the previous qualifiers. Oikawa and Aoba Johsai were not the exception. 

Before walking into the gym, he felt extremely anxious. He would very likely see Ushijima, after some quiet and peaceful months of not having to run into him. Nothing lasts forever, and good things, even less likely.

Iwaizumi had noticed his uneasy behaviour, since they got off the bus. So he decided to ask while they walked to the dressing rooms. 

- What's wrong Shittykawa? 

- Nothing Iwa-chan, everything's fine - and smiled. 

- You should know by now, that after so many years of putting up with you, I can tell when you're lying - he said, very serious. Oikawa bit his lower lip. 

- I'll tell you, but privately - Iwaizumi felt extremely curious, what was Oikawa so anxious about? 

- Promise me you won't laugh - he asked, very serious. It was quite odd to see him behave that seriously. That only seemed to make the dark-haired ace even more curious. 

- I'll try - he laughed - I mean, how bad can it be Oikawa? Just say it - the setter sighed 

- You do remember that red thread of fate nonsense showing you your soulmate and stuff? 

- Yeah, tough I don't buy it

- Well... I... I know who mine is - Iwaizumi felt like if he had been directly punched to his stomach 

- Oh... and... who is it? - he had so many questions. When did he find out? Did we knew this person? Was Oikawa excited or nervous about it? He really hadn't thought what would happen in that scenario - tell me, who is it? 

- That bastard, Ushijima - he dropped, with his eyes closed, like if he had felt actual pain of saying so outloud. Iwaizumi could breathe again... and he started laughing. 

- ¿USHIWAKA? - he was laughing his ass off - from all the alphas in the world HAHAHAHAHA USHIWAKA?  oh my God I can't stop laughing, you unlucky bastard 

- Shut the fuck up - he punched his friends arm, ashamed - obviously I really don't want to run into him. Pfff, not after everything that happened the day we found out. 

-What happened? - Iwaizumi asked. Oikawa told him the story in detail, including Tendo's threat and the texts the day after - I see. Well you can always ignore him, it's ok. I'm with you. 

- Thank you Iwa-chan - the dark haired man smiled, which he didn't do very often. He was happy. He had been lucky, he could still find his way to Oikawa's heart. 

Tough, his hopes sort of shattered before the Dateko match, when they had a very deep conversation about relationships between alphas and omegas. Oikawa made himself abundantly clear about how much he hated the idea of belonging to someone and having such an unequal relationship. 

- I've heard some couples bite each other, alpha and omega. The bond is still the same, but it sort of goes both ways. I mean, they belong to each other. In the end, you want a partner, not a slave or something to call your property. I don't think that relationships between alphas and omegas have to be like that - he replied, convinced of every word he said 

- I don't know Iwa-chan, have you met a couple like that? 

- Hmnnn - he took a few seconds - perhaps you won't like this idea very much, but I doubt that Ushiwaka treats Tendo-san like a slave - he laughed