prologue

(the reader will remain genderless for inclusion of all readers 😊)

In the heart of Georgia, I was getting my new office set up for the next campaign I was to work on. I had been working campaigns with Democrats across the east coast for years, managing a few smaller ones along the way, until I had been requested to work in Atlanta for the senate race. It was the largest campaign I ever had to oversee, but I had faith in myself from my prior accomplishments and the abilities I had in my tool belt. The office was just coming together, my whole team that been hand-picked by the candidate's advisors was just starting to move into their desks. I had my own, separate office, which wasn't nearly as spacious as I wished it could be. It was directly across from the open space my coworkers were setting up so I could see everything that could be happening within the office.

I set my things down and stared down at the computer that laid before me with a sense of accomplishment. I had finally found where my work paid off and I hoped this was only the beginning of large campaigns with big names. I started to unpack my small amount of possessions just to clear up space and add some order to the loud and bustling workspace. Lucky pen, nameplate, my personal ergonomic mousepad (which was the only cure for my carpal tunnel syndrome that haunted me frequently), and my tablet were amongst the majority of things I had kept with me through the years. I set the box to the side and finally sat down in my chair, relishing in the feeling. Finally, I was making progress. Just in 2018, I had worked on democratic representative races in Florida and effectively aided in some victories, and now I was working as the head for a major campaign, one that could dictate the future of the country.

During my reminiscing, a subtle knock came to my ajar door. My head perked up and my eyes were met with a tall man with wavy, dark hair that was well taken care of--not a hair out of place, all well-groomed and styled. He wore a white button-up with the sleeves rolled, exposing his forearms, and a pair of dark grey pants. A kind smile was spread across his lips that were surrounded by a faint stubble as he planted a foot inside my office. I quickly sat up and granted this man my attention, in hopes to not give off a bad impression.

"Good morning, sorry if I'm interrupting you," He greeted me, bringing his other foot forward so he was now in the room, "I just wanted to introduce myself, seeing as we'll be working together."

Immediately, I felt brainless not recognizing the man as soon as I saw his face. He looked different from digital images but, still, it was rather embarrassing.

"Nonsense. You're Mr. Ossoff," I grinned back and drew myself from my chair, stretching my hand out for him to take.

"Just Jon is fine," he took my hand. It was a firm, solid, gentlemanly handshake. Very presidential.

"(Y/n) (L/n). It's a pleasure to work with you, Jon. I'm eager to see the outcome of this election, come November."

"Well, with your record, I should be in luck." Somehow, that pleasing grin grew with the compliment.

"I just follow the numbers," I spoke humbly, "and a good team helps, too."

"We picked you for a reason," Jon slyly slid in the tribute before his phone began buzzing. He took it and looked at the screen then back at me, his smile had faltered to one with a pinch of disappointment. "I apologize, I've got to get going. It was nice meeting you." And with that, the candidate slid out from my office as he answered his vibrating phone swiftly. I could hear him talking faintly in the distance as he trailed off and to a secluded environment.

I could feel the floor begin to move from under my feet as the beginning of the campaign began to go underway. Success was just ahead of me, I knew it, but I had to let the tides take me before I rushed to believe we won. Jon himself admitted that I was good, I was capable to bring this candidate to success, but only time could tell the outcome of this election. Success could only prevail if we avoided the bumps in the road ahead of us, and no scandals come about from this young candidate. Perhaps he hadn't existed long enough to accumulate anything too disastrous, but because he was so youthful, Republicans were going to try anything to find dirt on him. That's where I came in, to protect him from the nonsense claims and keep his head afloat even when everyone is against him.