eighteen

Soon, Twitter died down and nearly forgot about losing Jon to some random nobody. I was somewhat surprised that no one had guessed it was me, but nobody could really figure out who Jon could have been dating. The people who found us at the restaurant wouldn't reply to tweets asking what I looked like, insisting on protecting Jon's privacy. That didn't stop people from psycho stalking his socials trying to find someone who was featured frequently. Luckily, I was featured only a handful of times through all platforms, so it wasn't anything notable. Many people began to question whether or not this was real and if those people had just strung together some lies.

While we were out of work, Jon and I had been spending a lot of time together, getting together all of the furniture for our DC apartment and making sure we had closed everything out at the campaign office. The domestic life we were forming was almost comforting in those days leading up to the inauguration. I could get used to waking up and having a freshly cooked breakfast along with having a heavenly sight before my eyes, knowing that it could never leave me and I could cherish it for eternity.

Some morning were dull though, and those were the ones where Jon had managed to slip from my grasp and go for a run. Unfortunately, I would only realize he was gone by time he had left. I would feel so cold laying in that bed and unable to fall back to sleep. So, while he was gone, I'd get up, make breakfast, and wait for him with my coffee. I did notice the coffee pot was started every morning he was gone, still keeping up with the ritual of getting me coffee.

When he'd get back, he was all sweaty and exhausted, cheeks pink and his usually perfect hair in a delicate mess. Always, he wore a smile when he saw me sitting in the kitchen, sipping my beverage and looking through my phone. He would bend down and give me a soft kiss and a pleasant, out-of-breath, "Good morning."

Eventually, I was done having restless mornings without Jon by my side. "Why don't you tell me when you leave?" I asked, looking up at him as he walked over to the sink and got a glass of water.

He pressed the glass to his lips and drank nearly the whole glass before answering me, "you look so pleasant. I don't want to disturb you."

"I'm plenty disturbed when I realize you're gone and I'm cold," I admitted to him.

"I'm sorry," he apologized, exhaling with a little volume, "would you like to come with me next time? You'll get nice and warm," he suggested sign a smirk as he leaned against the countertop.

I smiled a little and rolled my eyes, "I'll pass. I like the peace of the morning."

Jon shrugged and finished the rest of his glass. "You're missing out," he walked past me, placing a hand on my shoulder for a moment, which I leaned into for as long as it lasted, "I'm going to shower," he hummed, walking back to the bathroom. I watched him saunter back to the bathroom, shutting the door behind him but not locking it, just so the hallway wouldn't get steamy.

Promptly after his shower, Jon insisted we'd go out and get some more last minute things for the apartment. We planned to get there the day before the inauguration and settle in a little bit, but we had a few more thing still to buy. Jon's home was already partially packed up and it was just a matter of moving it up. He did still plan to spend lots of time in Georgia, but it made for sense for us to live mostly in DC, that way he could be closer to the Capitol. It still hadn't settled in that Jon was going to be inaugurated soon. These quiet and uncomplicated weekdays would soon come to an end as Jon began working full time again, and I finally got a job.

I had already made sent in some applications, with stellar recommendations from my prior candidates and Jon, himself, still yet to have heard back from any of them. Most of what I applied for were advisor positions (seeing as Jon couldn't employ me due to our relationship) with some Congresspeople and Warnock even offered me a position. I told him I should leave it to someone with more experience on Capitol Hill, but he told me that the offer still stood. I brought it up to Jon and he seriously thought it was a good idea. I figured I still had time to hear back from my applications before I gave Warnock a final answer, but I believe I was going to end up choosing him anyways.