twenty-eight

This was our loop. Every morning, I'd wake up to the sun illuminating Jon's body, delicately kissing and gracing the skin with enhanced beauty. I was always awake before him, unless he was running, but I would take that time to cuddle up to his side or to lay my head on his chest. Through his ribcage, I could hear his heart beating melodically and making my eardrums vibrate pleasantly. My arm snaked around his abdomen, pulling his resting body impossibly close to me so that, hopefully, we would merge. And with my body pressed innocently against his, feeling the skin of his torso against my soft fingertips, he would slowly rise from sleep as if I were warmly waking him.

At the first moment of consciousness, Jon didn't speak but would instead place his hand on my scalp, twirling my hair between his fingers and enjoying the pleasant texture. My head now nestled beneath his, we were in this beautiful awakening while the angelic light showing us to the eyes of the world. This was our morning every morning. Such beauty. Such innocence. Such, mutual, generous adoration for each other.

However, soon came Valentine's Day on a blissful Sunday. It hadn't dared to be cloudy that day so I got a heavenly look at Jon's body that morning. His winter paleness was now slightly warmer due to the hue of the sun. The bareness of his chest was no longer purple and brown, but a faded greenish yellow that was evaporating every day. That sight always daunted me briefly, serving as a horrible reminder of who I was, however, I soon became used to the feeling and began ignoring it. He told me it didn't hurt (plenty of times) so it didn't bother me anymore.

That Sunday was quiet. We didn't have work, it was just us and the sky watching us carefully. The unshielded window of our 5th story apartment allowed the most fascinating light to be cast upon our half nude bodies. Even better, Jon was resting, leaving me to admire him from mere inches away. The tempting light drew me in and I kissed his cheek softly, hoping it would stir him a little. After one failed attempt, I gave him another peck, one slightly closer to his mouth. A drowsy, quiet groan emitted from his throat.

It was Valentine's Day.

My lips traveled to his jaw and sailed slowly down his neck, kissing the lump of his Adam's apple. I briefly checked on him, seeing a sleepy grin spread on his face. His eyes were hardly open, but he made the attempt to watch as I kindly dragged the kisses down his body. At his neck, I could feel the vibrations through my lips as he hummed in pleasure. They soon found their way to the bruises painted at the center of his chest, where I was extra careful. Never did he show discomfort from me touching him there, so it must've not really bothered him. After making it away from that minefield, though, I found myself between his ribs and down the center of his stomach. Now, he sat up a little to watch me, his mind definitely sparking with every possibility. Patiently, though, he kept his hands to himself and allowed me to cautiously greet him. There, past his bellybutton, I was met with the waistband of his shorts and a grin growing as a result.

I took my hand, letting it tease the elastic before letting my eyes go up to face him entirely. Jon sat back on his elbows and stared down at me daringly. His lower lip was being clung onto for dear life as he promised not to speak, letting me do whatever my mind had mapped out. That expression was desperate and curious, I couldn't entirely force myself to remain silent.

"Happy Valentine's Day."

I was wearing a loose sweatshirt and pajama shorts as I sat at the counter, sipping my coffee quietly as I scrolled through the news that morning. Jon was at the stove with a spatula in hand as he made us pancakes for breakfast. I wasn't the greatest at cooking, but Jon seemed to understand the concept a bit better than I did (even if it wasn't much better). He stood with serenity, pleasantly flipping over the cakes while wearing bliss across his face. I let myself look up from my phone, admiring from my seated position and taking in this domestic scene. Casually, he wore a dark grey t-shirt that fit him like skin, and blue and black striped pajama pants. I could feel butterflies of glee as I watched him, perching my chin on my palm all the while.