Unhelpful Uncles and Spilling Secrets

"Just tell him, babydoll. You're making it worse for yourself by dragging it out any longer." Thia rested her arms on Lilli's shoulders as she attempted to tame her hair. The younger witch made a face at her. Remus had said the same to her that morning before she had left to volunteer.

"I don't know how to say it, though! 'Hi, Harry, I'm Elliana and I'm your sister'." She ran a brush through her curls, scoffing, "That would go over well, I'm sure."

Thia shook her head, crossing to the door, "Fine, have it your way, love. Come now, dinner's started."

Lilli sighed, following her aunt. She appreciated her aunt's concern, but honestly, did she really think it was that easy? Thirteen years she had been away from him, in a safe, loving home while he had been left to the Dursleys of all people. How did one tell someone they were related after thirteen years?

"Oh, there you are, Thia." Mrs Weasley's voice sounded relieved at the interruption as the pair filed in.

"Hey, Molly. Sorry, we're late, there was another emergency at St Mungo's." The adults shared a look as they sat down, Lilli beside Ginny and Mrs Weasley, and Thia beside Lupin.

"Hello, Lilli, dear," Mrs Weasley set a plate in front of her piled high with food, "Eat up. You could use it."

Lilli smiled politely, picking up a fork. Over the past few weeks, since Lilli had begun living at Grimmauld place, she had come to realise that you didn't tell Molly Weasley no. Especially if she didn't think you were eating enough.

"Wotcher, Lils," Tonks grinned at her, making her choke on her stew. Instead of her normal nose, a pig snout wiggled at her. Tonks winced, "Sorry!"

Lilli coughed into her napkin, "'S alright, Tonks."

"Hey, Lilli! How was volunteering?" Hermione asked over top of the other girls.

"I mean, it was Janus Thickey Ward, so Lockhart was there."

"Get any autographs?" Ginny joked. Lilli pulled a stack of photos out of her pocket, her face deadpan.

"Yes, you want one? Said I should give them to 'all my little friends'." Ginny's eyes went wide. Lilli laughed, looking across the table. Harry was watching her curiously, his head cocked to one side like a sparrow. She glanced toward Sirius instead.

"Any stories, Ellie?" he asked, a spark lighting in his eyes. This was how they had spent a lot of time that summer, her filling him in on her life or just making one up.

"My life or someone else's?" She swallowed her last bit of food, setting her fork down.

"Yours." Something in his face made him seem like a child on Christmas Day.

"Alright..." she thought for a moment, "Hmmm... Oh! When I was five..."

~

"Alright, what's up?" Sirius asked her as they took care of the dishes that night. The rest of the occupants had moved to the parlour or their rooms, leaving the two of them alone. Lilli looked up, surprised, and he snorted, "Come on, kid, it's obvious something's wrong. Is it Harry?"

She rolled her eyes, "Aunt Thia and Uncle Remus think I should tell him. And they're probably right, but how do I?"

"Well—"

"If you tell me I should just walk up to him and say 'Hey, I'm your sister!' I will not hesitate to hex you, underage or not." He closed his mouth.

"He's a good kid, Els. I think you're making a mountain of a molehill." Sirius flicked water at her, making her squeal.

"Are you saying that if a Slytherin you didn't know, who was best friends with, say... Snape came up to you and said that she was your sister, you would be completely okay with it?" He opened and closed his mouth a few times, never saying anything, as he thought about it.

"Alright, yeah. That does sound bonkers." Sirius brushed his hair out of his face with his arm, handing her another plate to dry.

"What does?" They spun, Lilli nearly dropping the plate. It was Harry, looking miffed at something.

"Err..." Lilli glanced up at Sirius, who seemed to have an idea.

"Harry! Would you mind helping Ellie finish the dishes?" The boy nodded, taking Sirius' place. Lilli eyed her uncle suspiciously. He left the room, and she relaxed. At least, she did until he poked his head back in and said, "Oh, and Harry... she has something to tell you!"

Lilli threw her towel, "Some help, Pads!" She could hear him laughing as he walked away.

Harry watched her, his eyebrow raised, "Um... What?"

"Wash while we talk. Else Mrs Weasley will come in." She ran a hand through her hair, "Okay. I'm going to say this the same way I told my friends. Alright?"

"Okay..." He frowned, "Wait... What?"

"You've gathered by now that I was raised by Remus and Thia, I'm sure." He nodded, "That's because Remus is my godfather and my parents died in '81, when I was three months old."

"No offence, but why are you telling me this?"

She rubbed her temples, "Merlin, I'm shit at this."

"Yeah..." Harry laughed, handing her a cup, "Just spit it out. I doubt it'll be the strangest thing I've heard today."

"Wanna bet?" She waited until his hands were empty, "I'm your sister."

Silence reigned, and she set about putting the dry dishes away while Harry processed what she had said.

"What?" Lilli looked up at him, seeing confusion scrawled across his face, "How?"

"I was born three months before they died. No one besides Remus knew I existed. Not Peter, not Sirius, not Dumbledore. Uncle Remus got a letter when I was born, naming him godfather. He found me in the house two days after you were already taken to the Dursleys."

"So why didn't you go to the Dursleys too?" There was anger in his voice. No, not anger... hurt.

"I don't know. Uncle Remus only ever said that it was safer for you there. He and Thia tried to talk to Dumbledore, to try and see you at least, but he never responded." Desperation was starting to creep in, and she forced it down, keeping her voice level and her face clear, "They tried, Harry."

The Gryffindor shook his head, stumbling back, "I need..." He didn't finish, but Lilli nodded. He left the kitchen, and she went back to the dishes.

Well, she thought, drying another plate, that could have gone worse.