Death Eaters and Deals

It was a week later when Lilli turned to the clock showing two am and sighed. Just once, she would like to be able to sleep through the night without waking up at some ungodly hour. But after half an hour of tossing and turning, she gave in and got up, tucking feet into slippers and grabbing her dressing gown. Silently, she padded down the stairs, a worn copy of Little Women under her arm. If she couldn't sleep, she might as well sit in front of the fire and read for a while. 

Her plan was disrupted by the soft sound of sobbing, and she paused, then crept down the last step, peering around the corner to see who it was. The fire was dying, and she could only see an outline of the boy, whose face was buried in his hands. Then he moved, and she saw the light glinting off platinum blond.

Lilli moved to his side, sitting beside him. She didn't say anything, but he leaned into her shoulder, saying softly, "Why did I do it, Ana?"

"Do what?" she asked just as quietly, pulling at the end of her braid. She had found herself doing it more and more as the days wore on and tensions grew.

In answer, Draco turned his arm, pulling up his sleeve to reveal a skull and snake tattoo, one that she immediately recognized as the Dark Mark. Lilli swallowed harshly, staring at the dark ink against his pale skin.

"He threatened Mother," Draco said, tears sliding down his face, "And to punish Father. He's given me a task, Ana, and if I fail, he'll kill me."

Lilli turned, hugging him tightly. He hid his face in the crook of her neck, dissolving into sobs. Eventually, the cries lessened, then stopped, and he sat up wiping tear-stained cheeks.

"Want me to read to you?" Lilli held up her book, and he nodded, laying so his head was in her lap. She rested one hand on his hair, "'Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents,' grumbled Jo, lying on the rug..."

~

Later, as the clock struck three, she looked down, seeing that Draco had fallen asleep. She sighed, brushing his hair from his face. Sadness clutched at her heart as she saw how peaceful he was in his sleep. Nothing at all like the severe, snappish boy who had called her a Weasley all those years ago. He looked innocent, vulnerable.

This was a boy who'd been strong for far too long.

~

August found her a few hours later, yawning as she tried to eat her breakfast. The Ravenclaw grinned, sitting beside her.

"You know, you're really cute when you're tired," he said, propping his chin in one hand as he watched her. She rolled her eyes, reaching for a mug.

"I'd rather take coffee than compliments just now, Augs." He laughed, passing her the coffee pot.

"Long night?"

"I woke up at two this morning," she groaned, rubbing her face, "And didn't fall asleep again until five."

He winced, "Would you rather go back to sleep? We can reschedule."

She shook her head, "I can't fall asleep again after the sun's up."

"Well, then, come on! I've an idea!"

She laughed, downing the last of her coffee before following him. He led her into Hogsmeade, first to Honeyduke's then to the Three Broomsticks. They didn't sit down though, instead buying some bottled butterbeer before leaving. 

"Okay, close your eyes." He took her hand as she did as he said, feeling him lead her somewhere uphill. Once they reached what she figured was the top of the hill, he pulled her down beside him. "You can open them again."

She did and gasped. Spread below them was all of Hogsmeade and behind that Hogwarts. They sat beneath a tree, shaded from the sun. He watched her, seeing a smile spread across her face.

"This is gorgeous, August!" She smothered another yawn. The walk up here, while not particularly hard, had still tired her quite a bit. August chuckled, transfiguring a leaf into a pillow.

"Sleep, Lils. I'll wake you when it's time to head back." She wanted to protest—they were on a date, after all— but the second her head hit the pillow she was out. August laughed softly, pulling out a sketchbook. She was cute when she slept.

~

"I'm telling you, he's up to something!" Harry looked close to pulling the hair from his head as he walked beside Lilli, "If you would just follow him around..."

"I said no, Harry." She rubbed her temples, sighing, "I will not spy on my friend just because you think he's up to something. That's not fair to him."

"He's a bloody Death Eater, Ana! What does it matter, being fair—"

"Enough, Harry," Lilli snapped, hazel eyes hardening, "You need to stop. This way of thinking isn't helping anyone. Draco is my friend, regardless of what you think he is. And until you understand that—"

"Miss Simmons," Professor Snape approached them, looking disdainfully at Harry, "With me."

"Yes, Professor." She followed her head of house, sparing one glance back at Harry and shaking her head. Lilli loved her brother, she did, but his tangents were so tiring. Didn't he realise that way of thinking was a dead end? If Draco didn't want to be found, there was nothing she, or anyone, could do about it.

"Peppermint patties," Snape drawled to the gargoyles, who sprang apart and let them enter. Lilli started; she hadn't realised they had reached Professor Dumbledore's office. Following Snape up the stairs, Lilli took a deep breath, clearing her mind. She didn't like Dumbledore's uncanny habit of knowing exactly what was bothering her at that moment.

"Ah, Severus, Miss Potter," Dumbledore waved them in, "Have a seat. Doubtless, you're wondering what brings you here today. Severus?"

Lilli turned to watch her head of house, who stood behind Dumbledore. He stepped forward, glancing down his nose at her, "Draco Malfoy is a Death Eater, given the task of finding a way to bring others into Hogwarts and killing Professor Dumbledore."

"I'm aware, sir. He told me the other day."

"Then you understand that we need to help him," Dumbledore leaned forward, steepling his fingers, "We need your help to help him. Are you willing?"

She looked between the men, and then at the previous headmasters and -mistresses, who were obviously listening in, "Of course, Professor."