Boggarts and Bad Things

"Books and quills away, wands out, please." These were the words that began the first Defense Against the Dark Arts class of the year. Even Lilli had no idea what the class period would entail. Her uncle had just smiled and told her it was a surprise.

"Now, my name is Professor Lupin, and I'll be your DADA professor. If you'll follow me, we can begin our lesson. Bring your things." Draco and Lilli shared a confused glance, but followed the professor along with the rest of the class.

"Any idea what he's on about?" Draco murmured, glaring at the confused looks some of the Slytherins and Hufflepuffs were sending Lilli. Those people turned around again.

"No. I asked him, but he just kept saying, 'it's a surprise, Ellie. Don't worry about it.'" She huffed, raking a hand through her hair. Professor Lupin led them to an old classroom. A tall cabinet stood against the chalkboard, rattling ominously. A sinking feeling filled her chest.

"Does anyone have an idea what's in here?" Lilli raised her hand, along with one or two others, "Ellie?"

"Is it a boggart, Professor?" She was rewarded with a smile from her godfather.

"Yes, it is! This fellow I found about a week ago, and I've asked the headmaster to leave it alone so you all can get some practice! Now, Boggarts like dark, enclosed spaces," said Professor Lupin. "Wardrobes, the gap beneath beds, the cupboards under sinks — I've even met one that had lodged itself in a grandfather clock.

"So, what is a Boggart? Blaise?"

"A shapeshifter," the boy drawled, "It will take the shape of whatever frightens us most."

"Very good. Because the Boggart cannot see us right now, he has not assumed a form, and will not until he can. Which means what?"

Susan Bones raised her hand, "No one knows what its true form is."

"Correct, Susan. Alright, there is one very big advantage we have over the Boggart. Has anyone spotted it? Draco?"

The boy startled, but quickly schooled his face into indifference, "There's several of us. It confuses it."

Professor Lupin nodded, "The charm that repels a  Boggart is simple, yet it requires force of mind. You see, the thing that really finishes a Boggart is laughter. What you need to do is force it to assume a shape that you find amusing. 

 "We will practise the charm without wands first. After me, please... riddikulus!"

The class echoed, "Riddikulus!"

"Very good, but that was the easy part I'm afraid. Who would like to approach the Boggart first?"

No one stepped forward for a moment before a Hufflepuff Lilli didn't know stepped forward. His wand wavered just a bit as he stood across from the cabinet, the other students forming a loose circle.

"Are you ready, Tristan?" Remus asked, his hand on the rattling door. Tristan nodded, a grim set to his jaw, "I will call you forward one by one. And, now!"

He stepped back as something draped in black stepped from the cupboard. For a horrible moment, Lilli thought it was a dementor, but then she saw the scythe it held in a skeletal fist. It was death. 

Tristan froze, eyes wide.

"The spell, Tristan!" Lupin called. 

"Ri— Riddikulus!" His voice wavered, but he cleared his throat and repeated himself, "Riddikulus!"

The Grim Reaper was suddenly a skeleton dressed in 70s bell bottoms and a psychedelic t-shirt. The class burst out laughing. Lupin smiled, and if anyone noticed the tear he wiped away, they didn't say a thing.