14

"Als, Shay. Nice to see you both here at the same time," Shay heard as she walked down the foyer.

"Oh, Maeve, hey," the brunette greeted with a tight smile. Ally had told Shay not to talk to her, but Shay wasn't rude (all the time). "Good morning."

"Gaydo moresnagay," Maeve said from the couch she loves. Shay's eyebrows drew in as she sent Maeve a small, confused smile.

Right then, Ally came from her bathroom. The bottom of her lip was wet from brushing her teeth. When she saw Maeve and Shay talking, Shay almost missed the murderous look on her face.

"The psychopath speaks in gibberish frequently. I don't think English is her first language," she quietly informed Shay who stood at her side.

"Don't think I've forgotten, Ally. It's been two days, and I haven't gotten an answer."

"I said tomorrow," Ally shrugged. The blonde made her way into the kitchen. She leaned over the wall with an opening, a counter attached to it.

"Tomorrow happened two days ago." Shay was in front of her now. Their noses were inches apart.

"Mm," Ally hummed softly. She pointed to the top of her head. "A lot is going on up here."

Shay's hand reached for Ally's, pulling it away from her hair and pressing her lips to it instead. "You should let me in," the younger girl stated. Ally's eyes became distant, so Shay tried not to push anymore after that. Partly because Ally looked so different, and Shay imagined that she wouldn't want to relive those events. Her skin lost way more color than it should've in such little time.

Ally's green eyes shot past her best friend's shoulder, finding Maeve on the couch. "What are you still doing here, Maeve? I could've sworn you'd be out of the house by now," she wore a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. Ally sounded to be in a pleasant mood, but Shay knew wasn't genuine.

For starters, everything was too friendly to really be true. That added to what Ally told her, how she hates the girl, something sketchy was up.

"And aren't you supposed to be at the gym? Getting your blood pumped?" Maeve shot back.

Ally turned to Shay with a grin. "What's funny is that she really means it." Why is that funny, you ask?

Shay rose an eyebrow. "Why would that be funny?"

The smile slowly slipped off of Ally's face. Her lips squeezed into a thin line before puckering. "I think I drank too much last night. Whatever I'm saying is bullshit," Ally explained to Shay.

"But Als, you can't drink. Don't want to contaminate yourself, do ya?" Shay didn't have to turn around to see the smirk on Maeve's face. She heard in her voice that she was finding something funny.

Ally's face reddened angrily as she glared. "Maeve, say one more fucking thing," she dared.

Feeling the mood of the room change, Shay's hands went straight to Ally's clothed arms. "Calm down," Shay warned, but Ally ignored her.

"-And don't ever call me Als again." Feisty...

Shay was wrong; this wasn't friendly at all. "Hey, there's a gym?" The younger girl asked, trying to change the subject. Maeve giggled in the background, and only by extreme patience was Shay able to ignore her. She counted on her friend to do the same.

Ally's anger leveled, and the hot color was leaving her face. "Do you want to come with me?"

-

It was only after Ally and Shay left the gym that the former silently concluded that she was ready. While the 17-year-old was reminding herself that Mt. Weather was not a resort, the older girl tried to gather her thoughts. At the front door, Ally's eyes were distant as she tried to structure a timeline. Her best friend noticed, but Shay decided not to comment on it until they were in the security of home 113B.