Wattpad Original
There are 38 more free parts

Chapter 46

Mrs Beakor helped him into the kitchen and sat him down at the table. It wasn't the first time he'd been there, in that chair, eating a meal that she'd prepared for him. Yet he felt like he really wasn't there, like this was just a dream that he merely existed in. He picked at pancakes and bacon, nibbling without tasting, merely going through the motions in a daze.

Until he stabbed himself in the face with a fork. The sudden pain jolted him back into reality, and he focused on the fork with wide eyes.

"You okay?" There was a smile on Mrs Beakor's face, but the concern had only grown in her eyes.

No.

"Think so." He eyed the fork, wondering how he'd managed such a clumsy feat as poking himself in the face. It was then he realized that he had maple syrup and eggs on his face. And not just a little amount, either. Heat flooded his face. "Uh..."

Mrs Beakor passed him a napkin. "I think we might have to get you a bib, kiddo."

Her teasing didn't help his embarrassment in the slightest. He hastily wiped at his face, getting the worst of the mess. Then because she was still watching him, he dug into the pancakes on his plate.

The first two bites went fine. The third, he missed his mouth. Pancake smeared on his cheek. He froze, startled. Had he misjudged things? After wiping his face yet again, he ate carefully, guiding the fork with intense focus.

It went fine, until he missed his mouth again. What the heck? Was his awareness and sense of self that messed up?

His expression must have been a thing to see, because Mrs Beakor started laughing softly. He scowled. "This is stupid."

"Naw, kiddo," she passed him another napkin. "It's entertaining. For me, at least."

"That's great. ' I can't walk, and now I can't even feed myself."

Not to mention the fact that the weird clan mark sent spikes of pain down his arm every time he moved it. At least he was getting used to that, but he didn't think he'd get used to having the dexterity of a drunken fish.

"You had a seizure," Mrs Beakor reminded him. "And it scrambled your brains to the point you fell into a coma. For three days. It could have been worse."

"Yes, but-"

"But what? You're alive, and you'll heal. That's more than a lot of people can say."

Seth closed his mouth. She had a good point. He's survived. Maybe not in one piece, but he was still alive. His eyes might have changed, but it was still subtle enough to not be too strange. And he'd get over this weird clumsiness. Probably.

He pushed some eggs around on his plate with the fork. A frown creased his features. "But nothing works right. It's not just me being clumsy or weak from laying around. It's like walking's suddenly become rocket science."

"Hmm." She considered this. "Is this what happened a couple weeks ago?"

He stared at her, startled. He guessed that she was referring to when he'd gotten Maun's Gift. That had shaken things up, making him stagger around like a drunk for a couple of days. It hadn't lasted too long, though, so he didn't think anyone really noticed it much.

Apparently, he was wrong. "Maybe?

"Did you have a seizure then as well?" She asked. When he didn't immediately answer, she lifted a single scraggly brow. "Seth?"

It was a good question. He gave a one shoulder shrug, wary of further agitating his marked shoulder. "I'm not sure. Maybe?"

"Do you have a history of them?"