Chapter Three

Home Of His Heart

All Rights Reserved

© 2020 May Dahlia.

Word Count: 1123 words.

_________________

A week had passed since Jasmine was transferred to the attentive care unit of the prestigious Reddington Carmen health care and they had been left with no reports, updates or news regarding her state. They had explained on the few accounts which they were asked, that they needed to study her entire profile and previous medical reports before they could make an official statement due to the rarity of her case and how unusual it was.

So when each awaiting member of the Jasmine-is-ill club was notified that a statement was going to be made that day, each one of them was there with their hatred and animosity set aside, to be out of their misery after waiting for hours on end.

It was the first time in four days that the six had been in the same room together, and that without any door slams or angry comments directed at the unsuspecting ex-fiancé of their sister, daughter, and friend and Keith was unsure of whether to be grateful, terrified or uncaring. He was unable to choose any because he was so caught up with the suspense and tension in the air that he didn't even notice.

No one spoke as the doctor stepped into the room with a file in his hand. The man looked troubled as he read the contents, probably using it to stall so he could form the right words in his mind to say what needed to be said.

He took his time but no one rushed him. They were all too caught up in their own thoughts that they let the patient side they most likely didn't know existed, shine through while the doctor collected his thoughts together.

The man finally looked up from the file, flipping it close with a simple flex of his fingers. He made a show of itching the top of his left brow, lengthening the already long wait before finally looking at them, giving each one with an individual glance before he spoke.

There were no words to describe what he was saying because, despite the fact that he was saying it, each one of them knew it couldn't be possible. And so, it was for that reason Keith held up his hand to stop him, not wanting to hear another word, another lie. He requested for the file and the man immediately gave it to him, trying his best to explain better and perhaps make the look of utter disbelief on their faces fade away; at least a little bit.

Keith looked up from the file and the look on his face still remained the same as he struggled to comprehend that what he had read was true. Each head turned in his direction for a denial of the lie the doctor had told but when they saw that he wasn't looking back at them, but at the doctor, they all did the same thing.

For a long moment, the entire room was dead silent, so much so that they could hear the sound of the wind swooshing in past the curtains and filling up the room with its natural calming breeze.

The person who finally did break the silence was Mr. Smith who looked like he was about to blow a fuse. He snatched the file out of Keith's hand with a glare, letting out curses under his breath ad a few words about fake expensive hospitals. Finally, when he finished, he looked up and the sound that left his lips was somewhere between a cry and a laugh. It was loud and it resonated across the room full of people staring at him in shock. His wife gave him a look and he nodded and soon enough the feeling of hope that had filled his heart and lit up his eyes started to go around to everyone else until they were all filled.

Dexter and Jade were hugging Jessica like they were longtime friends when they hated each other's guts. Mr. Smith was hugging his wife while Keith just stood there with the largest smile in the room because he had finally found what had been missing the entire while; hope. The reason he hadn't been able to move past anything was that he had lost all hope but he had found it and he wasn't letting it go, not again. As he dwelled on the feeling in his heart, a plan began to form in his mind, a plan he had a good feeling was actually going to work.

So that day, while everyone else stayed back, he slipped away with a promise to her in his heart, a promise to make things right. The bond they had shared while they were still together couldn't be broken by a few words and hurt feelings and he knew that and it was that bond that he was going to use to get her back because whether or not they were willing to accept it, they weren't a normal couple. A normal couple would never be able to get back from some of the things they had gone through together but they still went on strong so there was no way he was letting something as petty as what had happened to ruin what they had, not then, and not ever. 

=*=*=

This is the shortest chapter yet and I feel oddly proud of myself for writing it to such a moderate length. I really enjoyed writing this because of the amount of emotional expression that was poured into it. I'm usually not very good at expressing my feelings and it's even more difficult doing it for a male character. I have had to go out of my comfort zone to study how men react in comparison to women and it has really been an adventure that I hope paid off.

Please let me know what you think of this chapter because the length gives me a feeling of inadequacy that I detest so please be very honest but not mean.

Questions {Although I'm not sure there's much to ask}

Do you think Keith is handling the entire situation as he ought to?

Would you guys like to meet Jasmine again or you're fine with her not showing up for the rest of the story?

That's a rap.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please be sure to leave a vote, let me know your thoughts in the comments section down below and share this book with anyone you might enjoy it as well. Constructive criticism is highly appreciated and feedback on my work is highly welcomed.

Loads of love to all my readers,

May.