Chapter One

Home Of His Heart

All Rights Reserved

© 2020 May Dahlia.

Word Count: 2920 words

___________

    It didn't take a genius to guess that 'the CEO playboy' would be the last person to get to the hospital. Quite unlike the rest of the family that immediately found out; just as Jasmine had imagined, and rushed to get her from where she was. They had not been the ones to get her to the hospital though. It had been someone else called for an ambulance before they got there and so they simply changed route and found themselves in the saint Jordan hospital, the one place no one wanted go if they could afford it because of the dark and gloomy feeling that always hung in the air, with doctors looking like they didn't care enough to help their patients fight for their lives. It was a pitiful sight with the literal sense of death hanging in the air. 

Even Jessica; Jasmine's best friend figured it out before him when she called her best friend's cell and no one picked up, she knew something had to be wrong and immediately called her sister, knowing she was the only other person who could possibly know about her date plans.

To put it simply, the man who was supposed to be marrying her in two months to come, was the last person to realize that his fiancé wasn't okay and in the eyes of people who were still doubtful of his motives towards their daughter, sister, and friend, it sure did not look good on his marital CV. 

Of course, normally they should have called him because he could not have known unless he did what Jessica did. But with how much animosity was already being harbored for him by the parents, it was no shock to anyone that he wasn't alerted. There were also the things they could have noticed; like the fact that her precious engagement ring was no longer warped elegantly around her finger or the mascara running down her cheeks like she had been crying because she had. All things that could have been explained as a result of her accident but they knew better than that and they also knew it most likely had something to with him.

Nevertheless, no one bothered to find out which it was because they all knew it wouldn't develop into a small argument that could easily be resolved by a few words. No, to the Smith family, it was much bigger than that; it was a matter of a person's life, a person who shared blood with everyone there but him and Jessica. They were a little afraid because who wouldn't be (when a member of their family was lying on a white bed without a single person who could say she had a surviving chance)? Probably worried as well from the way Mrs. Smith kept mumbling words of prayer under her breath, but most of all they were mad and all their anger was directed unswervingly at him.

After worrying himself to his own madness then finally calming down a little, he finally noticed the glares and he gulped as his eyes connected with Jasmine's brother from across the room. The only thing missing from the mob image were the pitchforks and torches, but knowing the family, they were probably hidden somewhere within their reach, ready for action if he tried to escape (a strategy he knew would only land him in more trouble than he was in already). He could tell what they were thinking; 'that it had to be his fault in some way' and although unfair to jump to conclusions like that, he understood why. The family had always had telling spirits and they could most likely tell from the instant they saw him that something was off and it wasn't just the fact that Jasmine was in a hospital so terrible that they could smell the urine as though it had been built-in with the walls, that made him come off that way, it was something else.

Jessica was the one who broke the silence, in opposition to Mrs. Smith, whom he had always known to be the one to break things up once they got too much and expected to do the same in his current situation. He glanced at the woman who still looked in her late thirties despite her age and was still as graceful. She didn't look like her normal self; with tear streaks running down her cheeks, wrinkles marring her usually agile looking face and a frown etched onto her forehead, and suddenly a wave of shame and guilt washed over him. He was the cause of her anguish. After being an amazing mother figure to him, even when her husband did not approve, this what he did to thank her. Something came to mind and he couldn't believe the irony as he started to feel exactly as Jasmine described him during their last conversation; 'a despicable idiot.'