Part 23

Finally. The forest.

After Shifting and running a couple of laps around the pack house, I feel more energised than I'd ever been in the past months. With that determined mindset, I plod into the woods, my paws crunching on the autumn undergrowth of leaves, letting the moon's light guide me through the trees. I stop for a sip at the creek, lowering my maw to the happily bubbling water that coursed through the pebbles. Only the sound of the small splashes of water and trees creaking with cicadas whispering to each other filled the air, and I settled peacefully by the water, lazily turning to my back, flicking away a moth that had gently fluttered onto my muzzle.

Just as I was getting comfortable, a snap of a twig echoes like a gun shot behind me, and my head whips back, only to see a lone fawn running startled into the water. The deer's innocent hazel eyes swivel around as it takes in its surroundings, tiny tan coloured legs speckled with cream twitching nervously on the dewy grass. I pounce on it by instinct, taking the startled prey's neck into my jaws, and snapping it quickly. Making quick work of the stomach and intestines, it's only when I knaw at the legs that I realise something was off. A lone fawn? At this age they would still be with their mothers, not wandering off into the forest. And even if the baby had managed to sneak away from her back, shouldn't she have made more noise? And why did she look so startled? What scared her?

Slowly, I lifted my head up from the bones, and with caution, turn my head to survey the surroundings. Now I was the fawn, terrified and nervous, eyes taking in their surroundings, but not seeing the predator until it was too late. My eyes dart back and forth through the foliage, trying to make something out through the wall of thick forest trees. After a while of careful searching, I approach the cluster bushes where the deer had sprinted out from, sniffing around until my nose caught hold of a familiar scent. Something that I hadn't smelt in a long time. Something that I wish I had right now. Someone I wish was here.

Pushing away those thoughts, I go to the logical option. It's unlikely it's someone. It's probably me being excited in the forest, and not shifting for a while must have put my senses out of whack. But it would make sense to follow the scent as quickly as possible, before it fades away, and to check if the thing was any danger to the pack. I don't want anyone to get hurt. I've got to protect them. I've got to find him.

By instinct, my body pulls my to the scent's path, my fur covered legs tracking through the cracked ground and dried grasses. Finally, finally, I reached a clearing where the scent had faded away to almost nothing, just a faint hint of what was to come lingering in the humid air. Closing my eyes, I take a deep breath of the air, entranced, intoxicated by the scent. His scent.

Out of nowhere, a paw swats at my head, and the sheer size and power behind the slap sends me catapulting into the air, my light body cracking against a tree. Fuck. That hurt. Dazed and the pain only starting to register, I try to stand up, but my hind legs give out at some point and my body thuds to the ground. Before my eyes flutter shut, and I give into the welcome depths of unconsciousness, tall, black furred wolf legs enter my visions, the last thing I see before I stuccumb to the pain.

———

Head thumping, limbs leaden weights, I struggle to get up onto my paws, barely registering the blanket thrown over my body, and the shirtless human laying beside me. In this state, I hadn't the energy to shift, so I tried to focus on what was happening now, rather than search through my muddled mind to what happened. 

"You're awake?"

Holy shit what was that? My head snaps to the side, and I wince inside from the pain. As my eyes adjust to the rays of morning light filtered through the strong smelling pine, my eyes settle upon a figure, just a silhouette from where he stood. But when he moves out of the light, and his scent hits me like a hundred ton weight, I realise who he is. Min. Yoongi.

I snarl as he approaches me, snapping at the liver he holds out in a gesture of kindness, trying to resist the decadent treat, both his scent and the liver. But I give in, my body too weak to put up much of a fight, and I begrudgingly take the liver from his hand, swallowing the dense meat, but maintaining eye contact as I bit into it, the blood dripping down the fur of my muzzle. Yoongi's Adam's apple bobs in his throat as his eyes settle on the blood crusted muzzle, and his hands quickly dart up, palms out facing, in the universal 'I won't hurt you' guesture.

"I won't hurt you."

I huff through my nose, clearly falsifying that statement.

"Okay, before was an accident, I underestimated how small you were, and you did a good job of distracting me."

Yoongi takes a deep breath of air, breathing in my scent as if it was the last air on earth. I growl at him, making it clear that his excuses weren't enough. The sound snaps Yoongi out of his trance, and he returns to his apologetic lines.

"I'm really sorry, I would never purposely hurt you like that. I swear on my mothers life that is was an accident. You don't have to forgive me for that, but before I slammed you into a tree, I just wanted to talk. I couldn't go on. Like this."

As he gestured to himself, I realised how much of a mess he was, in the nicest way possible. A coating of stubble darkened his jaw, and his skin wasn't the glowing supple one from before, it was more pasty looking, as if he had been ill. It was obvious he had lost weight from the way his clothes hung off him, and how his cheeks had sunken in slightly. Being apart from me had affected him as much as him being apart from me. It was clear now. We couldn't leave each other. To abandon your mate would be a death wish.

"But after this I've got to go back, my girlfriend is waiting for me."

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Lol I wrote this after crying myself to sleep ☺️

Fuck you covid.