i let it fall

CHAPTER I

THERE WAS NOTHING Arabella Knight hated more than him. He was raw ice and she was searing flames. He was impolite and she was courteous, fortunate and unfortunate, host and guest, laugh and cry. They were dusk and dawn, polar opposites in every way, except for the immense hatred they felt for each other.

Yet, here she sat, across from him, at his dining table, on his chair, in his castle—well maybe not his castle, more his elder brother’s castle, who sat to her left. She did not hate the elder nearly as much as she hated the younger brother. She and Sirius Black were betrothed, and while most people would not like someone they were forced to marry, the two loved each other. They loved each other the way childhood best friends did—that’s because they were childhood best friends.

Arabella had always had a little schoolgirl crush on him, but never got to find out if it was mutual. It did not matter anymore, they were both so happy to marry each other.

Queen Walburga Black sat at the end of the table, across from an empty seat. This empty seat was where King Orion Black II sat when he was alive just about a week ago.

Arabella’s parents, Queen Charlotte Knight and King Vincent Knight VI, also sat at the table.

“I have sent out more invitations to tomorrow’s ball,” said Sirius.

“Who? I thought we had invited everyone we needed already,” said Walburga.

“I invited some lower class people, Muggleborns even.”

“That is nonsense,” replied his mother. “Why the hell would you do that?”

“Well, when I am king, I will repeal the punishments against Muggleborns.”

“You will not!”

“I will be king, so I will do whatever I please.”

“I am still your mother.”

“But as a king, I can—”

“Let us discuss this later, Sirius.” Walburga’s face had become slightly pink, and was faking a smile towards the other queen.

“Why? Do you not dare to speak of sensitive matters in the eye of the public?” Sirius raised his voice.

“Alright then, if you do decide to repeal punishments against those filthy creatures, I won’t let you become king!” Walburga set down her silverware, and everyone went silent.

“You cannot do that!”

“Yes, I can,” she answered.

“I am your eldest son! I have to be king!”

“Not if you are gone,” said the mother. “Sirius, I do not think you understand. Everything in the world is replaceable. Even you are. In fact, you are the easiest thing to replace. I think your brother would be delighted to become king.”

Arabella’s fists were clenched underneath the table. Sirius stood up briskly, and Arabella held his arm. “Sit down, Sirius,” she whispered, “we can talk about this later.”

“Fine,” Sirius said loudly, ignoring Arabella, “if you do not want me here, or to be king, I will be more than happy to leave!”

“Go ahead! The door is that way, make sure to close it on your way out!”

Sirius’s eyes were glossy, but he did not hesitate to turn around and leave.

“Sirius!” Arabella went after him. “Wait, don’t go.”

“Arabella get back here!” called out her mother, but she did not listen.

Sirius was already out the door, he walked through the courtyard and towards the grand gate of the main entrance, for there is a charm casted on the entire grounds of the palace which prevents anyone to Apparate or Disapparate.

It was grey and foggy, the rain was pouring, but still, Arabella ran.

“Sirius! Stop!”

And he did, just in front of the gate.

“Arabella, I am so sorry.”

She stood right in front of him, face dripping of rain, hair sodden and messy.

“Don’t go,” she said loudly over the roaring rain.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t go!” She grabbed his hand and pulled him closer, but he would not budge. “Don’t leave me here,” she said quietly.

Whether it was rain or tears that dripped from her eyelashes, she was beautiful in her soaked, royal blue dress with drizzling hair.

“Arabella,” Sirius began, “I was never meant to be a king. And you are meant to be queen.”

“That’s rubbish! You would be such a great king! I cannot rule without you.”

“I am sorry.”

Sirius opened the gate and stepped out to the other side. Arabella held onto the bars of the gate on the opposite side of him.

“I love you, Sirius! I have my whole life. How could you leave me!”

Sirius went up to the bars and held her shivering hands. He kissed her cheek and whispered in her ear, “I will write to you. Never lose touch.”

And he walked away a few steps before Disapparating.

When Arabella returned into the castle, her parents, Regulus, and Walburga still sat at the table. She looked at each one of them.

“I hate you,” she said, “I hate all of you!”

“Arabella!” her father said. “Calm down! It is not as if you will not be queen anymore.”

“Yes,” said Walburga, turning to Regulus. “Regulus will replace Sirius’s position.”

Regulus had a devilish smirk, and looked up at Arabella.

“I would never marry him! I would rather set fire to this castle!”

“You don’t have a choice,” answered Regulus.

And they glared at each other with fire in their eyes, the way they always did when they quarrelled.