until you kissed my lips

CHAPTER VII

THE MELANCHOLIC GREY sky showered rain so heavily that the water droplets thudded against the roofs and windows.

Neither Arabella nor Regulus said anything as they left the palace under black umbrellas. Outside the gates of the capitol, all nobles, middle class men, and peasants all crowded in silence, dressed in black. A group of generals held a large black casket with large bouquets of flowers on top of it. They marched all the way through the main road to the royal cemetery. Only those part of a royal family were allowed in.

From under her umbrella, Arabella could see, within the crowd, many flashing cameras and journalists, and took a step closer to Regulus.

The casket was placed in front of a tomb which read Queen Walburga Black. Underneath the name was the family crest and "toujour pur". She was placed beside King Orion Black.

The Pope spoke for a couple long minutes, the two did not pay attention to his words. Arabella looked around and people from other royal families were shedding tears, and when she looked up at Regulus, his expression did not show a single emotion.

After what seemed like for so long, and so many words, the Pope asked, "Is there anything you would like to add, Your Highness?"

Regulus looked up, and shook his head. The casket was then lowered into the dirt. Where she belonged, thought Regulus.

"We are so sorry for your loss, Regulus," said one of the kings, patting Regulus on his arm. The king's wife wiped her tears with a piece of cloth, and gave Regulus a short hug. His expression did not falter one bit, nor did he utter a single word.

As more people came up to him, Arabella spotted a familiar face in the crowd outside of the gates. Sirius was standing on the other side of the gate. Regulus was not paying attention to her, so she snuck out and met Sirius somewhere more private. She embraced him and his warmth.

"I am sorry-"

"Do not be, you know I never liked my mother," said Sirius, still holding on to her tightly.

"No," she said, "I meant, I am sorry for how things ended last time."

"It is alright-"

"I do not mean any of it," she said, tears blurring her vision. "Nothing was your fault. I have missed you so much and I have felt so terrible."

"Do not worry," answered Sirius, releasing her, "and I have missed you so much more."

She looked up at him with a smile, and kissed him under the umbrella. She turned to make sure no one was watching, but her smile faded from her lips when Regulus made direct eye contact with her from afar.

Sirius took Arabella's hand which was placed on his chest. He looked at her gloved fingers, he looked at the ring. It glistened brightly. It was a symbol of wealth. He was the one that was supposed to place it on her finger. But it was his brother.

"I need to go, Sirius," she said. She looked up at him and he was gazing off into the distance where Regulus was standing with the rest of the royals. "I will write to you," she said, tugging at his clothes a little.

He looked back down at her again. "Yes," he said, kissing her once more. "Goodbye, Arabella."

When Arabella rejoined Regulus, they were alone in the cemetery. He looked disgusted towards his brother, but did not say anything.