and you saved me

CHAPTER VIII

DEAR SIRIUS, 

I hope we keep in contact. How are you doing? Are you still living with the Potters? I had an idea: One day, when you get your own housing, maybe I could escape too, and live with you. That is, of course, if you do not mind. And if you do, I understand. I will leave this place anyway, and find somewhere. It could be quite difficult for me, since I do not have any acquaintances outside of the royal families. Are you doing anything to earn money at the moment? I have always wanted to work somewhere like a boutique shop, I visited one once when I was little with Constantine. It was during a sleepover, we had to sneak out, of course.

You probably heard about the last battle. It was quite traumatizing for some of us. Your brother was very badly wounded. He is alright now, has to stay in bed most of the day, not that you care much. 

The days here are very lonely. Only two people occupy this enormous palace, it gets boring after a while. Especially since I do not get along well with your brother. 

Maybe one day you could come visit? No one would notice, your mother is not here anymore. I hope you think about it, it would mean so much to me.

I miss you, 
Arabella 

She sealed the envelope with wax and delivered it herself to the Owlery. She disliked being in her—and Regulus’s—room, especially since Regulus spent all day in bed now with his injury.

The air had become colder and colder each night, darker and darker as well, until frost blanketed the surfaces.

At the Owlery, she noticed a letter had arrived from a familiar owl. She recognized the seal immediately, it was her family’s seal. When she opened it, she read that it was addressed to both her and Regulus.

She arrived back in her bedroom and sat in front of the fire with rosey cheeks and a pink nose; she was shivering.

“There will be a royal ball,” she said, turning towards Regulus, who was sitting on his bed with an opened book in his hand. “My parents are hosting a ball for Christmas.”

“Are you asking me for permission to go?” Regulus interrupted with a slight smirk, but not looking up. 

Arabella knitted her eyebrows; this irritated her a lot. “No,” she answered sternly, “they wanted you to come . . . obviously.”

“Obviously,” he mimicked her. “I do not see anything so obvious.”

“You are their daughter’s husband—” Regulus flinched at the word, “—of course they would want to see you and have you there. They think we—!” She stopped herself and took a deep breath.

They think we like each other, finished Regulus in his thoughts. It was one of those unspoken things between them. Words like “husband,” “wife,” and “Sirius,” were taboos never brought up.

“For fuck’s sake, you are making such a big deal out of this stupid ball,” he said, finally looking up from his book. “I will go with you.”

“It is not stupid,” she retorted. After a moment, she said, “I want to—I mean—I will propose to have the ball at our palace.” 

“What? Why? No.” 

“What do you mean ‘no’? I have already decided.”

“Why do we have to have it here?”