Chapter Two

Robin sat in an armchair in the very large, very comfortable room where the Bridgertons usually took their tea. She was not used to there being no household work to tend to, and even less used to the luxurious amount and variety of food available, so she was determined to enjoy it while it lasted.

She sipped the licorice tea she'd become rather fond of since arriving in London and smiled as she watched the large family fall into what she'd quickly realized were their usual spots around her. There were eight Bridgerton children in total, so even when everyone was quiet, their home felt full and busy.

Robin liked it. Normally, it was just her, her father, and their two servants in Norland Park, a much vaster estate. So often, it felt empty and cold. Granted, the cold was partially because of the drafts due to the building's condition, but the sentiment remained the same.

Robin smiled as Eloise, who would be searching for her own husband next season, came to join her, sitting in the chair across from her. Eloise let out a heavy sigh and Robin raised her eyebrow, then selected a cucumber sandwich and some cold chicken and ham from the tray in front of her, beginning to snack as she waited for Eloise to say what was on her mind.

"Why is it so expected that women should marry?" she finally grumbled, grabbing her own sandwich and slumping in her seat. "Anthony and Benedict are both older than you and Daphne and neither of them are married, but no one seems to care."

"Your mother cares," Robin immediately disagreed. "Anthony in particular should be married by now, especially since he's the head of your family. It's his obligation to produce an heir, and if he's really not going to, then it's Benedict's, and he's not fulfilling that obligation either."

"Fine, but my point is that no one's taking him in front of the queen and trying to pawn him off to the highest bidder," Eloise retorted.

"True," Robin acknowledged. "But just wait until the first ball. I know Anthony is only going to escort Daphne and I, but from what I've heard, the eligible ladies will be all over him as soon as he arrives."

"I suppose we'll find out. I can't believe your father convinced you to do this. I would have stayed in the country," Eloise huffed, stuffing another sandwich into her mouth.

Robin shrugged. "I have my own family obligations, Eloise. And I must be thankful that your mother is kind enough to take me in, see potential suitors on my behalf, and pay my dowry. She keeps trying to get me to accept even more charity, but I'm trying to take as little as possible, considering how likely it is that I will ever be able to pay her back."

Eloise sat up and eyed Robin curiously, grabbing another sandwich and pointing it at her accusingly. "I thought you didn't want to get married," she argued.

"I don't, particularly," Robin admitted. "If I don't wed, it is highly likely that I will be able to continue living with family, or even on my own, if someone is kind enough to settle some money on me. Someone else would inherit Norland, perhaps even one of your brothers, and they would return it to its former glory, which would be lovely to see."

"But?" Eloise wondered. "Obviously there's a but."

"But those are all risky gambles to take, Eloise. What if there comes a time when I have no family to take me in? Or the family I do have left isn't able to, or just plain doesn't want to? I'd be left destitute. And I'd hate to see Norland potentially go to someone who would not care for it properly, or sell it. Just because I haven't been able to restore it doesn't mean I don't want to."

"Why don't you just marry Anthony or Benedict?" Eloise suggested. "They'd take care of the estate, and they'd probably leave you alone to do whatever you liked."