Chapter Twenty-Five

Robin seated everyone around the table. Sherlock and Enola both began eating heartily, but Miss Beverley only picked at her food. She was clearly uncomfortable, and it was easy for Robin to guess why. So she reached out and put her hand gently over the other woman's and smiled.

"May I call you Cecilia, Miss Beverley?" she asked warmly.

"I suppose," their guest mumbled a little petulantly.

"I understand why you're upset, Cecilia," Robin began. "But I assure you that we have no intention of doing anything that hurts you. So, please. Tell us why you wanted to run away from home."

Cecilia sighed. "Enola has informed me that there is no point in lying to her brother, and I imagine that goes for you as well, Mrs. Holmes."

"Call me Robin."

She nodded. "Well, Robin," she admitted reluctantly, "I'm afraid of being trapped in an unhappy marriage. My parents were never happy. I do not want to be auctioned off to a man and have my worth measured by how many sons I can give him. That's what happened to my mother, and she had two daughters, so you can imagine my father's disappointment."

"Your father did seem rather morose," Sherlock observed as he watched the two women.

"It's worse when there's no company," Cecilia pointed out. "But that's not all. I want to travel. I want to see things and do things. It's not that I don't want to get married and have a family. I just don't want to right away."

"All of that is fair, Cecilia," Robin assured her. "Trust me, I understand. I was prepared to sacrifice much when I finally tried to find a husband this season. But I can also tell you from personal experience that it doesn't have to be that way. I ended up with a wonderful man who appreciates my differences and honors my wishes for my life. I know that's an exception to the usual rule, but it is possible."

Cecilia looked skeptical, but Robin took a deep breath and forged ahead. "You must also consider the consequences of your actions, Cecilia. For both your family and for women as a whole."

Her brow furrowed as she glanced at Robin. "What do you mean?"

"Your reputation is already in danger, Cecilia. Everyone knows Sherlock is investigating a disappearance, though he's been discreet. Questions have been asked. Some people know for certain that the missing person is you, though your family is doing their best to keep it secret. Others merely suspect. Some men will likely not consider marrying you at all, and you are ruining any chance your sister has for a match in the future. And before you say you can marry someone after you've run away, consider that your options will be very limited because of your estranged status, and that puts you at risk for being taken advantage of as well."

"Additionally," Robin continued, "if women are to change anything at all for our gender, we must change it from the inside. Nothing changes if we run away. I know it doesn't seem fair to have to shoulder that burden, but it belongs to all of us, and we must all do our part."

Enola raised an eyebrow and stared at her brother, then mouthed, "Good job."

Sherlock smiled and reached out to squeeze his wife's shoulders, looking at her with all the pride in the world in his eyes.

"That's easy for you to say. You must have had help to make a good match for yourself," Cecilia protested.

"I did," Robin revealed. "My aunt is quite the fan of a love match, which worked in my favor. But I also advocated for myself, which you can do. And I promise you my help as well, Cecilia. We will not abandon you simply because our case has ended."

"We won't," Sherlock confirmed, leaning in to kiss Robin's cheek. "Everyone deserves to be as happy as we are."

"If I refuse, will you drag me home kicking and screaming?" Cecilia wondered bluntly.