Chapter Five

Later turned out to be that afternoon, when Daphne invited Robin to the green. She was going to ride with her brother and talk to him about her predicament herself. Since everyone now seemed to be under the impression that Robin had a marriage prospect, the assumption was made that she'd want to promenade to see him.

She did want to see him again. They weren't wrong about that.

She was walking in a slow circle when the world's greatest detective fell into step beside her. "Is this really how you like to spend your time?" he began.

"No," she replied archly. "Walking in a circle attempting to lure men with my exquisite form isn't exactly my idea of a worthwhile pursuit. I would prefer to read or write, but I don't want to upset my aunt, and every experience is useful when one has a creative mind."

She stopped talking, wondering if she had perhaps said too much, especially in the presence of someone who was a detective.

"More and more intriguing," he murmured, glancing sideways at her and studying her profile.

She was almost a foot shorter than him, and her body was pleasantly curvy, especially her rear and bosom, though that was hardly an appropriate thought.

It was also one that wouldn't generally occur to him. The comforts of women were not something he had ever craved. He didn't understand why he was suddenly more attuned to them since Miss Ballard's timely intervention at Lady Danbury's ball, or why it was only her in particular that he was noticing. But he couldn't help himself.

Her brown hair was naturally wavy and simply pinned back, and she wasn't wearing an abundance of rouge. The color in her cheeks was real, which he appreciated. She had full pink lips, and there was a rather fetching swoop at the end of her nose.

She turned her head fully and caught him staring. She had big hazel eyes that were undoubtedly curious, and he decided to end her confusion.

"You were right, Miss Ballard. I am getting nowhere with the ton. They know I'm not here to court and they do not wish to tell me anything."

"Are you requesting my help, Mr. Holmes?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"If I did, would you give it?" he wondered.

"Not freely," she answered immediately.

He stopped walking and she paused along with him. "What is your price, Miss Ballard?"

She considered briefly, then stood up a little straighter and looked directly into his eyes. "I want to work your case with you."

It was his turn to laugh out loud. "You can't possibly be serious, Miss Ballard. That would be far more effort than is worth your assistance."

"Do you have women lining up for the task, then?" she challenged him.

"I could ask any lady, and most would do so without your ridiculous condition."

"Fine," she retorted. "Ask them. But none will be as savvy as me, and they will all assume your attention means something much more. I am under no such impression, especially after your announcement this morning."

"No," he snapped automatically, without having another particular reason as to why.

"What exactly am I supposed to do, then? If you're hoping I can simply teach you to be charming, you're wrong. It would take the entire season to do that, if not longer."

He bit his lip and made a face at her that was somewhere between a sneer and a smile. "Do you know that you are an extremely vexing woman, Miss Ballard?"

"I'm doing my best, Mr. Holmes."

He laughed again, then gestured for her to continue walking. She obeyed.

"Very well," he agreed heavily. "We should find a time when I can go over the case with you, ideally without being interrupted."

"Are you attending the upcoming opera?"

"Yes. I have a box."

"I'll be on the floor."

"Join me instead, Miss Ballard. We'll finally have a chance to talk."

"Very well, Mr. Holmes. I look forward to it."

"I can't entirely say that I am," he muttered.

"If Lady Whistledown knew how rude you were, she wouldn't recommend you as such an eligible match," she observed.

"As if it matters to me what Lady Whistledown thinks," he huffed.

"It should. She's very quickly becoming the harbinger of the season. If she thinks it, it matters. Just because you don't like society doesn't mean nobody else does."

She was savvy. She wasn't wrong about that.

"Very well, Miss Ballard," he sighed. "I will keep it in mind."

They stopped at the end of the green and Robin smiled at Daphne, who was clearly ready to go.

"One more thing before I leave, Mr. Holmes."

"Yes, Miss Ballard?"

"If you're not careful, my aunt is going to think there is some validity to the idea that you want to marry me. Please consider that, as I am disappointing enough already."

She went to join Daphne and he stared after her curiously.

She was challenging and willful and sharp-witted, to be sure, but that hardly made her disappointing, at least in his eyes.

However, he knew she was right. The last thing he wanted was for anyone to assume they might be wed.

He turned and left, promising himself he would be more mindful of his behavior in the future.