Chapter Ten

Robin was valiantly trying to convince her aunt she was reading, but it was becoming rather obvious that she was doing anything but.

She was really hoping that Sherlock might visit and tell her his answer. Whether it was yes or no, at this point she just wanted to know.

But, of course, she had no idea when to expect him, which was making her exceedingly anxious.

It was almost time for tea when a servant came in to announce a visitor. "Mr. Sherlock Holmes for Miss Ballard."

Somehow, Robin managed to close her book and set it aside calmly. Violet was smiling from ear to ear. "Bring a separate tea to Mr. Holmes and Miss Ballard in the parlor," she ordered.

Before Robin could say anything, Violet had scurried off. She took a deep breath. This was exactly what she'd wanted, but now that he was here, she was even more nervous. Still, she put on a brave face and went to the parlor.

Sherlock was standing by the window, his hands folded behind his back as a servant set out a complete tea for them on the table.

Robin nodded her thanks as the servant left, and then they were alone.

"Hello, Mr. Holmes," she murmured, feeling heat spread over her cheeks as he turned to face her.

"Hello, Miss Ballard," he greeted her. He was smiling, and he seemed content. She wondered what that meant. "I have come to inform you that..."

He was interrupted by his stomach growling loudly. He grimaced sheepishly as Robin burst out laughing, unable to help herself.

"Please sit down, Mr. Holmes, and have something to eat," she invited him.

He sighed and sat. "It occurs to me that I haven't eaten at all yet today," he realized ruefully. "My apologies."

"Does that happen often? You forgetting to eat?"

"Unless someone's looking after me, yes," he admitted.

"You should take better care of yourself," she observed, and began to make them each a plate.

There was good white bread, roasted pork, salmon, several kinds of cheese, and black pepper scones with butter. He accepted his plate gratefully and began to eat, putting some pork on bread and rolling up the piece so it was gone in two bites, as she poured their tea.

"Aunt Violet prefers a heartier, more savory tea in the afternoon," Robin explained. "I must say I prefer it as well. I hope you do too."

"I do, especially right now," he agreed.

Then he reached across the table and placed his hand over hers, squeezing it gently. "Please be at ease, Miss Ballard. I am here to accept your proposal."

She gasped softly and looked up at him. "Truly, Mr. Holmes?"

"Truly. I have even secured my brother's permission to propose."

She raised an eyebrow. "Did you need that?"

He chuckled. "Not particularly, but I thought it prudent." He paused. "He... brought up something that I would like to ask you about."

"Of course," she replied easily. "I'll tell you anything you want to know."

"He mentioned a scandal involving your mother," he began, stopping when she instantly became pale at the words.

Her cup shook in her hand and she quickly set it down. His brow furrowed worriedly and he shook his head.

"I'm sorry, Miss Ballard. I didn't mean to upset you," he told her sincerely. "Mycroft said whatever happened was legally resolved, and it makes no difference to me. I merely wanted to separate rumor from fact."