Chapter 2 - First Day

"Ed, wake up!" I heard my mom yelling from downstairs. I mumbled and shifted on the bed, still sleeping. It was hard to fall asleep again because of the footsteps that were coming towards my room.

"Wake up! You're gonna be late for your first day at school!" I shot my eyes open because of how loud my mom's voice felt like in my empty unfurnished room. The only things inside my room were the bed, a closet and my luggages. I picked my phone from the bedside table and checked the time.

"I'm late for school! Why didn't you wake me up sooner?" I complained as I was getting off my bed in a rush.

"Well, I did but you're the one not waking up sooner," my mom retorted before adding, "now hurry and get ready. We're having breakfast together."

I paused for a moment and looked at my mother, confused.

"H-hold on... Breakfast? Together?" I asked, breakfast and together are two things I never expected to see in one sentence. Because my mom was so caught up with her job back in London, it's rare to see her in the morning.

A smile formed on my face as my mother nodded.

"Yes, Ed. We're having breakfast together. Now hurry and clean yourself! You smells like wild animals," my mom left my room.

*****

After showering, I went downstairs where my mom, William and Wendy were sitting together while talking. Some topics that I managed to catch were about how my mom is going to the sheriff station to start her new job as an officer meanwhile William would try his luck on becoming the assistant coach for the BHHS lacrosse team.

I joined them and looked at William and then at my mom before drinking a cup of tea my sister made.

"So... Do you have any plans for today, Ed?" I looked at William and shrugged. I honestly don't know if I want to do anything today other than going to school.

"I uh... Maybe I'll try to make new friends," I stated and earned a laughter from Wendy and my mom.

"What?" I asked while looking at them.

"Really? Can you do that?" my mom asked, putting her hand on my shoulder. I get why they were laughing at me and honestly, I can't really blame them for that. I'm socially awkward and don't really like standing in public.

*****

"Have fun at your new school kids," my mom said before dropping us off in front of the school. We gave her a cheek kiss before getting off the car.

"But what about the dug up grave? Do you think Lydia is involved in this?"

I stopped for a moment and turned to the source of the voice. It was two guys talking to each other.

"I don't think she is involved but whatever it is, we must find Lydia before the hunters do."

One of the voices was similar to the one I heard last night. Then realization hit me, it was the same group that I heard last night! Minus the girl since she couldn't be seen with the two boys.

"I think someone is listening..."

As soon as Scott said that, I walked away and looked around the school before sitting down on a bench, my sister joining me not long after that.