Chapter 3 - Beacon Hills Preserve

I went home later that night and was welcomed by my brother, William, who informed me that my sister, Wendy, and mother had gone grocery shopping.

"Mom told me to keep an eye on you," William said as he followed me to the kitchen. I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and drank it before looking at my brother, William.

"And why is that?"

I could hear William walking back and forth behind me before hearing something being placed on the dining table.

I slowly turned to face him and then looked at the bullet on the table, "a shotgun shell?"

"One that belongs to a hunter family," my brother said and showed me the logo on the shell. I looked at him, tilting my head, wondering why he showed me the shell.

"I don't get it."

William sighed, "As you know, we are not in London anymore, and you can't roam around freely at night like how you did back then."

"And why is that?"

"Ed, if there is one thing that supernatural creatures like us have to be wary of, that would be the Argent family."

I stopped him after he mentioned the name of the hunter's family. "Hold on, did you just... did you say Argent?"

He nodded, picking the shotgun shell from the table and wrapping it in a cloth. "Yes. Mom told me that you went to a funeral earlier today. She said it was the Argent," he said, sitting at the dining table.

"Well, yeah. I went to the graveyard with my friends."

"Hold up, friends? As in, more than one?"

My family seriously need to stop doubting my ability to make friends -- I might be socially awkward, but that doesn't mean I can't talk with other people. I don't have the best topic to discuss in conversations, but at least I could be considered normal.

"Yes, William. I have friends, although I am still getting to know them."

William shrugged, getting up. "Fine, you have friends. But anyway, as I was saying... the funeral was for a member of the Argent family," he exclaimed before disappearing into the hallway. I stood quietly in the kitchen and listened to my brother's footsteps going upstairs.

I waited until he entered his room before sneaking out of the house through the back door. I decided to explore the town -- well, more of the Beacon Hills preserve since I figured I might be spending more of my time in the forest than the town itself.

As I walked through the forest, I could hear a coyote pack howling somewhere in the forest. I was fascinated by it because back in London -- at least where I used to live, there weren't any animals that howled in the forest near our house. I walked for another ten minutes before finding a cliff that overlooked the whole town.

I sat there for a while, enjoying the view before smelling multiple scents approaching -- they weren't unfamiliar, as I immediately recognized them as Scott and Allison. I quickly hid and watched as the two talked.

They started to talk about Gerard, who I had seen before when he cut an omega in half. I discovered that he was Allison's grandfather, and Scott told her they would have to be more careful the next time they met up before sharing a kiss -- of course, I didn't watch them. I quietly left them and continued to explore the preserve.

Later that night, I was on my way home when Scott showed up.

"You were spying on us, weren't you?" he asked, walking towards me.

I took a few steps back and smiled at him, "what do you mean?"

Scott shook his head, "I could smell your scent at the cliff. Who are you? Are you part of Derek's pack?"