♕Spur To Action♚

I felt myself grow heavier with every step towards Shou's house.

While Shou was quite possibly the only one who knew how to revert Clementine back to normal, I couldn't help the foreboding feeling in my gut. After all, last time I was getting back to his house I was carrying a child that was bleeding out in my arms.

I had to be strong though, I needed to revert Clementine back to normal for Mrs.Helms.

The fact of the matter is though, while I felt upset about Clem's condition, I was more concerned to what lengths I would have to go to to get her body back. The thought made me shiver. Alchemy was cruel, and had no morals. I could only imagine the nearly impossible feats that could be solved only through alchemy... and the death of others.

I clenched my fist. I couldn't think like that yet, I still had to ask Shou what he knew before jumping to conclusions on what I could and couldn't do. After all, I had promised Mrs.Helms that I would bring Clementine back to normal if I could, and I didn't plan to go back on my words just yet.

I froze as I turned the corner to face Shou's house.

The bright yellow of police tape cut through the dreary sky, standing out against the pavement as it marked off Shou's house, surrounded by military officers, of which I could spot a familiar face.

"Hughs!" I jogged down the pavement, stopping just at the threshold to see his face turn with surprise, eyebrows raised.

"Well, if it's not the criminal. You haven't escaped, have you kiddo?"

My face went hot. It was a strange feeling to be referred to as a criminal after all that happened, and even stranger to realize that you had only just been released, so of course Hugh's thought you were supposed to be in jail.

"No! I was just let out, my case is closed. I'm innocent."

"I'm glad to hear that kiddo. However, I do have a few cases of my own that have happened ever since you left, and I need to talk about a few things with you, so why don't we head down somewhere, ok?" Hughs said, stepping over the tape boundary.

"So you'll tell me what happened back there?" I asked, following Hughs as he began walking down the street with a few files underneath his arm.

"Yup. Have you seen the coffeehouse a few ways away? Julianne's?"

I followed in confusion, "Well, yeah, but-"

"Great! We're going there. I heard that it's really good." he said. His face was strange, he was smiling but I could tell something was up.

"Hughs what is going on?" I asked, confused.

"You'll see. Now, how do you like your coffee?" he asked.

"I don't really like coffee, but Hug-"

"What? Of course you like coffee. You probably just had a bad cup at some point. Anyways, Julianne's only serves coffee, so you'll have to find something you like. I'd suggest something with alot of sugar, your young after all, wouldn't want you getting hooked on hard caffeine!"

I sighed, giving up trying to get anything out of him and following after him into a tiny coffee shop.

It was eerily quiet, and the servers had masks over their faces. The café was covered in dark wood and deep muted colors. Soft music played just faintly through a grainy radio, and there's a barista cleaning a pitch black plate behind the front counter.

But there were only a few tables, all empty and wrought black iron, and the windows that I had seen on the front of the building were nowhere to be seen. Instead, there were dark wooden booths against the wall, the doors all closed with windows covered by dark curtains.