(93) TMotDS: Should I Give Him Away or Feel This Bad?

Water burst out of the Dark Mirror, spitting out three students from the sea. All of them were laying on the ground, panting, and soaked to the bone. Jack was the first one to sit up from his face down position, shaking his head, body, and tail like a wet dog after a bath. He looked at the other two. Jonah was laying on his back with one of his arms on his face to cover his closed eye and tried to control his breathing. Riddle slowly got up from laying on his side, coughing as spitting, trying to get rid of the disgusting taste of eel-mucus.

"There's no way we can win against mermaids under the sea..." Jack breathed out.

"We need a tail," Jonah spoke out, voice slightly hoarse from the tiredness and frustration. He lifted his arm from his eyes, letting it fall to his side. "Does any of you know how to make a somewhat-mermaid potion or spell?"

"Salacia potion would work," Riddle answered. "But that's an advanced level potion that isn't taught in school. Even I can't brew it correctly."

"Well, we don't have time for experimenting." Jonah slowly sat up as he continued. "We need to brew as soon as we can. If we can do it by sunset we can make a night ambush-"

["Oh?"]

Jonah's eye immediately widened. "Shit."

Of course, Jack noticed it. "What?"

"I... I blew up," Jonah spoke slowly, staring at his trembling hands on his lap. "He now knows..."

No confirmation was needed for both Jack and Riddle. They knew that Azul just read Jonah's mind because of the contract. They had already anticipated things like this. He probably had set something for their night invasion, possibly sending the twins again-

Riddle's eyes widened. "Wait. I don't think this will work."

Both Jack and Jonah looked up to him. "What?" the brunette asked.

Riddle turned his head toward him, but more focusing on Jonah. "If we go at night, like after sunset, the counter curse won't work."

Once again, Jonah's eye widened. "Ah-!"

Jack quickly connected the dots. "And if we face those Eel Twins again, you won't be able to breathe."

"That's..." Frustration once again came crashing down onto him. He gripped his hair, trying his best not to cry. But man, he felt like he wants to. Damn it. He didn't think that through. How could he forget about that as well? It was already embarrassing enough that he was useless back there for not being able to see the Leech Twins, now he was practically trying to kill himself-

"Hey." A hand on his shoulder snapped him back to reality. "Hey." Turning his head to the voice, his black eye met with a pair of gray. "Look. We've at least know what we are facing. We should think of an alternative tonight."

Riddle helped Jonah up, moving his hand to hold him around the shoulders while the other was holding his hand. "Come on. I'll make you some tea and cookies."

Jonah didn't even nod. He just let Riddle led him out of the Mirror Chamber, still feeling disappointed in himself. The walk was silent and to be honest, Jonah was grateful for that. They arrived in the Hall of Mirrors. Jonah vaguely remembered Riddle led him to the Heartslabyul Mirror.

Not even realizing that Jack stopped following him or Riddle and Jack exchanged a glance, a silent signal before Jack turned to enter the Pomefiore Mirror.

-----

"Well, that was certainly something," Azul mumbled as he doodled on his book with his glowing magical pen. Most of the gaming pieces were set aside, making rooms for new Mostro Lounge reports and additional contracts. It was funny that people still wanted to make a deal with him despite the whole anemones mess. Well, they do say desperate times call for desperate measures.