Chapter 9

I woke up the next morning and the house was quiet. The clock on the wall read 11am. Grabbing my phone, I walked downstairs and fixed myself some cereal. I'm not sure where everyone is today, but I enjoyed the peace. I tried calling Spencer, but he didn't answer, neither did layla. Coop was definitely still sleeping, no doubt about it, so I didn't even try.  I decided I was gonna go for a hike. Why? Couldn't tell you, just kinda felt like getting out the house.

        The trail was beautiful. It was so quiet and peaceful that I could feel all my worlds stress simply melting away. Sitting down on a large rock, I opened up my hiking bag. It had belonged to my biological father, the social worker had given it to Ms Grace when I was younger after she first adopted me, and I had never opened it or used it until now. To give you a rundown, both of my parents passed away in a fatal car crash when I was 3 1/2. My mom was best friends with Ms Grace apparently, so here I am.

       Inside the bag, they had a cherry red notebook, some cigarettes, a large shirt, and a lighter. I opened the notebook and saw that it was almost like a scrapbook. It contained photos of every time they went on a hiking trip, along with little descriptions under them. A tear rolled down my cheek as I flipped through the pages, reading about the fun times they had together. I closed the notebook and choked out a sob. They seemed like amazing people, and they were ripped away from me before I could even make memories with them. I put the notebook back in the bag, spotting the cigarette box. I remember Ms Grace saying that my father used to smoke, so I knew they were his. I grabbed the box, opening it to see only one was missing, so he must've just bought it before the accident. I sighed, taking one out, placing it in my mouth, and lighting it. I don't know what came over me, I guess I just felt like this was almost a way to feel closer to him.. to both of them. Doing something he did everyday, while on a hike, the thing the both loved, made me feel like I was almost getting to know them in a way.

       I had been there for a while, so I decided to head back to the Baker residence. I packed up all my things, and headed back down the trail. I knew I couldn't make smoking cigarettes a habit, people would smell it on me and I would never hear the end of it.

      When I got back into town I desperately needed to pee, so I walked into the nearest Shell station.  I followed the sign that said restrooms to guide myself around the aisles. After using the bathroom, I washed my hands then headed back into the maze of aisles. As I was about to walk out, I spotted a sign. I stared at it for a moment, contemplating if I really wanted to buy the item or not. Unfortunately, I let my sad, clouded judgement get the best of me, and I broke out my wallet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     "I'm home!" I shouted, walking into the house. "Hey Lilian, where've you been?" Laura said from the kitchen island, smiling up at me. "I went on a little hike, sorry, I should've texted one of you." I apologized. "No it's ok, how was it?" She asked shutting her chrome book. "It was good, I need a shower though." I said hoping to clean up before tonight's game. "Ok sweetheart, just let me know if you need anything." She returned politely. "Thank you Mrs Baker." I said sincerely before heading upstairs.

     I cleaned up, making sure to brush my teeth like three times. I was paranoid someone would smell the smoke on me and question it. What would I even say if they asked? Oh yeah, I was grieving my parents and decided to smoke to feel closer to them, but don't worry, you won't smell it anymore because I bought an electronic one instead, thinking for some reason that would make the fact that I'm smoking better. Yes, I might've bought a Juul, and it might be blue raspberry flavored, but we don't need to discuss it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

       Tonight's game was incredible, they played better than anyone expected. They had the crowd cheering more than my own team of cheerleaders. I was at work now, taking orders at the cafe when I felt my phone go off. It was a call from Asher. I pressed accept and lifted it to my ear.

-
Asher
Lily
-

Hello?

Hey Lils, what are you up to?

Making a coffee at the moment, cafe's pretty quiet tonight. Why what's up?

On my way.

Wait what? Now?

Yeah, I'm bored and we just won a game so I want to do something as a celebration.

Watching me work? Sounds like a party to me.

It will be, see you in 10.

      He had hung up before I even had the chance to reply. I laughed lightly, going to deliver the coffee to the one person that was in here. We close in an hour, so after I served him his coffee, I figured I would get a head start on cleaning and began wiping down the tables. It was only me working tonight, so it would take me a bit longer to close up the shop.

       "The party has arrived" Asher said walking in, still sweaty and gross from the game. "Where? I don't see it." I said faking confusion. "Haha, very funny." He said taking a seat at the coffee bar. "Damn, it really is a slow night huh?" He said looking around. He actually took 20 minutes to get here, so by now the last guy had left, and nobody had came in since. "Yeah, I mean we do close in 40 minutes, which means I'm gonna have to kick you out." I said teasingly, wiping down the table he was sitting at. "Ouch." He said putting a hand to his chest, Mimicking a hurt expression. "Sorry, the only way you can stay is if you help me clean." I joked. "Well then I guess I better grab a rag." He laughed standing up and finding one behind the counter. "Ash I was just kidding." I smiled at the boy. "I know." He smiled back, beginning to wipe down the counter anyway.

      It was now 20 minutes passed closing time and we had successfully cleaned the whole place. We wiped down every table in sight, I swept, I cleaned the bathrooms, and Asher mopped. We had music playing over the loudspeakers and I was standing on a stool, pretending I was in my own concert. "Boo!" Asher said cupping his hands around his mouth from his spot at a table. I pointed a finger at him mockingly "hey. It's not nice to boo people." He laughed in response. I joined him at the table soon after. We had a normal conversation, but then he started messing with me so I snatched his phone and took a picture of him. "Lils, give me my phone." He said cocking a brow and holding out his hand. I smiled innocently and handed it back.

Instagram
(Pretend he's in the cafe, this is the pic she took)

Instagram(Pretend he's in the cafe, this is the pic she took)

Liked by: LilyRose, Layla.K, JordanB1, It's.JJ, Livvbaker, and 465 others

A_adams: Dub szn

Layla.K: 😍
It's.JJ: hell yeah it is
LilyRose: you really mopped the floor with them. See what I did there?
a_adams: please leave @LilyRose

Load more comments