Chapter 12

"Open up asswipe." I stated, pounding on the door. "Can you not be the most annoying motherfucker on the planet?" Shawn said ready to smack me. "Nope." I said popping the P. I threw my bag by the couch and went straight to the cabinet for snacks. "Can I help you?" He said sarcastically, standing with his arms crossed and looking at me like I'm an idiot. I grabbed the box of Cheez-it's and sat down on the counter to fill him in on the whole story.

     "Damn, so your moms just lied to y'all like that?" He said throwing a cheez-it in the air, then catching it in his mouth. "They both did, and he let me live in his house knowing damn well I was being lied to." I sighed putting the box aside and taking a sip of water. Maya woke up from her nap and walked into the kitchen. "Hi baby!" I said smiling from ear to ear. She was the best baby of all time. She giggled as I picked her up, plopping her into my lap. Shawn laughed. "I swear she likes you more than me." He said smiling. "I'm just good like that." I said winking a the boy who just rolled his eyes in response. "Have you heard from Spencer?" He asked. "No, I left him a voicemail and a message but I don't think he has his phone on him." I replied honestly. "Well lil mamas, it's time for me to go." I added, handing her to Shawn and grabbing my bag to leave. "Where you goin?" He asked confused since I had just gotten there. "Gotta head back to Beverly. If I miss the last bus tonight I miss the game tomorrow." I said back. "Bye Shawnie." I teased, knowing that name pissed him off. "Bye Lil." He said with a pointed expression before I walked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

       I slept at Layla's last night, not exactly ready to face Coach Baker. She also didn't want to be alone with her dad and his new girlfriend/client. Now I was leaving school. The boys just won the game, and I was heading to work. I got in and went into the bathroom to change out of my cheer uniform and into my work uniform. I tied my hair up into a ponytail and walked back out. "Hey Spence, congrats, you really saved the game tonight." I said taking my place at the register while he collected the things needed to clean the tables. Did I forget to mention he works here too now? "Thanks, also about yesterday, I'm sorry I didn't hit you back, I was at the game talking to Coach Baker. Turns out my Pops quit coaching at Nevada years ago." He said sadly. "It's ok, and how'd it go?" I asked. "It was ok I guess, we didn't talk much, I still don't forgive them for lying." He stated. I nodded in agreement as a customer came up to order.

          "Layla's dad hates me, so I'm bouncing." Asher said throwing his plate away and waiting for me to respond. "It was that bad huh?" I smiled softly. "Terrible." He said leaning on the counter with his head in his hands. "He'll come around." I said while I fixed someone's coffee. "I don't know about that one Lils. I gotta go, I'll text you later." He replied, still slightly annoyed. "Bye. Hey no pouting, you won tonight." I said pointing at him as he walked out. He turned around and laughed at me before disappearing behind the corner.

After a few hours, I clocked out and headed back to the Baker house. Only Laura was home, Billy was at the Miami field with Jordan and Asher, and Olivia was out. "Hey sweetheart." She said smiling at me while cutting up some fruit. "Want some?" She added. "Sure, thank you." I replied kindly while taking a seat at the counter. "How was work?" She asked. "It was good, we were busy today though." I said as I popped a grape into my mouth. "That's good." She said scraping the bananas off the cutting board and into the bowl with the sliced strawberries, mango, pineapple, and the grapes. She divided that bowl into two and handed me one before sitting on the stool next to mine. "How's the campaign going?" I asked curiously, unsure how she deals with all the pressure. "Good so far, but you know politics, I'm bound to face some sort of backlash eventually." She laughed out. We continued to talk for a while, she was like a second mother to me after being here for a while. I am so grateful for this whole family, even if I'm not on the best terms with Billy currently.