Chapter 17. A Survivor's Struggle

Link didn't know where he was running, he just was. He wasn't completely sure what was in front of him, but he kept going. He didn't know what he was running from, but whatever it was, he didn't want to be caught by it.

   He ran and ran in a blind frenzy. The images of the soldiers and their names that had flashed in his mind back in the graveyard reappeared, burning themselves permanently into Link's memory. From those memories, other fragments of his past came to the surface.

   Link remembered fleeing from the castle. He clutched something in his hand, but he couldn't remember what. He was too focused on the chaos and destruction that surrounded him. The Guardians had turned on them, rampaging through Hyrule Castle, firing at everyone that came within their sights. They were beginning to spill into the town, razing everything in their path.

   The screams of people as they were torn apart or burned alive by Guardians, the sights of blood and death staining the ground, the terrible smell of smoke and burning flesh...they all suddenly became fresh in Link's mind.

   He remembered running without a second thought in mind, holding something in his hand. All he knew was that he needed to get somewhere safe. He was hurt badly already. He'd known that he wouldn't survive if he stayed and fought. He had to get out of there.

   And that seemed to be the end of it. Link had abandoned them. He'd deserted the castle. He couldn't remember why, but knowing he had done it hurt so much.

   Why would he do that? Why didn't he stay and fight? What sort of soulless person deserted their own kingdom, their comrades and friends, their own family?

   He left them all to die.

   Why didn't he stay?

   He could've tried to protect them!

   What sort of coward was he?

   Link had deliberately avoided this subject ever since it had crossed his mind. He had speculations and fears about it ever since he was told about his past by King Rhoam. Why did he survive? Why did everyone else die? He feared the answer he might get. He didn't want to find out. He didn't want to remember.

   But he'd found his answer for it. He wasn't just a failure, but he was a coward too. He had made the deliberate choice to leave his friends to their deaths. He must've known where the Shrine of Resurrection was to heal his injuries. Why else would he be there? He was no better than a traitor.

   In the back of his mind, Link questioned if he was even thinking clearly at the moment. His head was still pounding and his muscles had begun to ache as he needlessly and carelessly spent his energy running. His emotions were like a raging storm in his brain, uncontrolled and unfettered, wreaking havoc in its wake.

   Maybe he had a good reason to run? Maybe he was planning a strategic retreat?

   No, it didn't matter if he had a good reason to or not. It didn't matter if he even had a reason at all.

   He still abandoned them. He left them to die. That was unforgivable. The one thing a hero shouldn't do, and he had done it.

   It was no wonder the Master Sword despised him. He was a coward. He was scum, an insult to the very idea of being a reincarnated hero. None of his predecessors would've taken such an action, not even the ones that failed. At least they fought and died like true brave heroes.

   Link had run from the people in trouble. The people who needed him. People he could've saved.

There was no coming back from something like that, regardless of reasons.