Chapter 26. The Right to Peace

The Rito village was hospitable enough. It rose high above the ground as a complex series of wooden ramps, platforms, stairs, bridges, and small huts, all of which was wrapped around the large perch-shaped rock spire that jutted out of an island in the middle of Lake Totori. Link didn't think the village would be too comfy, but he came to enjoy it during his recovery.

   He and Kilton were given a free bed at the Swallow's Roost Inn while they rested and recovered. The local doctor sent over potions and elixirs to help facilitate recovery, not unlike the ones Link was prescribed during his time at the Riverside Stable. It didn't take more than a few days for the two patients to feel as good as new—and for Link to make a new resolution to stop ending up bedridden. It had happened three times already over the course of his adventure, and he decided that was enough.

   While they were there, Link handed the ancient diary over to Kilton and told him what had transpired that night. He skimmed through the part that Link had pointed out.

   "The Dark Knight, eh?" Kilton said. "So that's what it's called. It's connected to the hero too, in some manner, and disguises itself with Sheikah shadow magic...tell me, how do you feel about this?"

   Link wasn't sure how to answer that. If the Dark Knight was connected to the incarnations of the heroes somehow, then he definitely felt like he  had some sort of obligation and responsibility to take it out. From the diary, it seemed to imply there was some sort of dark secret surrounding it that the gods themselves wanted to keep hidden. He wondered what could be so damning as to warrant that.

   He shrugged in response.

   "Ah, that's fair," Kilton said. "It's unfortunate that that incantation likely isn't around anymore after six thousand years. If only we had that, this whole thing could be easy. But on the bright side, defeating it should still do the trick."

   Link liked the sound of that. He wasn't sure how to approach a battle with the Knight, but he was certain he'd come up with something in due time. He just needed some more information...anything he could use to determine what sort of fighter it was.

   "Hey, how are you both doing?"

   Link and Kilton turned toward the entrance to the inn. Standing there was Teba. A bow strapped to his back, as was a quiver filled with arrows. Link wondered if he was preparing to go hunting.

   "We're much better!" Kilton said. "Thank you so much for your hospitality and help."

   "Pleasure's all mine," Teba said. "I just came to tell you that we just finished hauling the last of your flying machine to the stable on the village outskirts. It's in pretty bad shape, but I think repairs can be made."

   Kilton grinned. "I'm glad it's repairable at least. I can have it working in no time." Kilton paused as another question came to mind. "Oh! Did you see a jar with a black and purple substance amongst the wreckage?"

   Teba nodded. "Yeah. It survived. We left it with the pieces of your flying machine."

   "Wonderful!" Kilton said. "I'll get to repairing my balloon right away, and analyzing that new sample!"

   Kilton bolted past Teba and down the ramp that led to the village entrance.

   "Wait, should you really be moving like that already?" Teba called. "Hey! Are you even-" He glanced at the small islands connected to the village and the mainland by a bridge. "Holy Hylia, he's already almost there...I don't even think I can fly that fast."

   He turned to Link. "Can I count on you to make sure your friend doesn't recklessly fly away once he's done? I'd rather you and he not be shot down by Vah Medoh again."