Chapter 10 Sharing the Burden

Link had to stay in bed for a while to recover. Over a week passed as he recuperated under the blankets. He hated being unable to leave the bed, but he certainly didn't feel like he could even if he tried.

   The memory loss he'd sustained while in the fog was undone for the most part, partially because he didn't have much memory to fix to begin with. But his ankle was busted even worse than it was before. It wasn't broken, thank the goddess, but it was at risk for sustaining serious and permanent damage. It was the only part of Link's body that wasn't covered by blankets, instead elevated on a pillow and immobilized on the other end of the bed. His body temperature returned to normal, but he was still coughing and sneezing. He was taking potions for all of these, thankfully, one that facilitated healing for his ankle and one that helped control his coughing and sneezing. Recovery was slow and steady, but it was definitely working.

   The stable workers had been very kind to him during his stay. The chef, Gotter, prepared quality food. Link really liked his stew. It used a variety of vegetables, meats and spices that blended together perfectly. It was one of the few comforts he had while bedridden. He often looked forward to mealtimes.

   Ember, the stable manager, was the one who had brought Link in to begin with. He was apparently found with no pulse or heartbeat and a bluish tint on his skin, initially leading to the conclusion that he was dead. Had CPR not been administered, Link would've without a doubt have been sleeping for eternity in a grave rather than for a little while in a stable's bed. Ember was letting him stay and recover free of charge—though Link had every intention to pay for everything once he was better.

   Link didn't know where that note he found had come from. He assumed it was from his savior in the fog, but he wasn't even sure if that entire experience had been real or not. But who else could've given it to him? Either way, he had plans to head over to Mekar Island after he got better. He had to find out who wanted to meet with him.

   "Hey, Link!" Ember said, coming over, smiling warmly. "How are you feeling?"

   Link gave a thumbs up. He'd survived the worst of it, surely. He hoped that was an indication that he would be able leave soon once his ankle had healed. He could live with coughing and sneezing, as annoying as it would be.

   "That's great," Ember said. "Lykasha says she'd like to examine you. Are you ready?"

   Link nodded.

   Lykasha stood next to Link in his bed while she examined him. Ember had sent for an apothecary from Kakariko the moment he'd confirmed that Link was alive and she was the one who responded. Thanks to her Sheikah abilities, she was able to arrive fairly quickly, taking up only a day and a half of traveling. She'd been monitoring Link's condition for the past week and had been the one cooking up the potions he was taking. It was thanks to her Link was able to recover as smoothly as he had been.

   "It looks like your ankle should be stable," she said. "Try walking."

   Link stood up from the bed. It was the first time he'd done so since his time in that horrible fog. He stumbled for a moment, a bit like he did when he'd first awoken in the Shrine of Resurrection. But he steadied himself. He took one step. Then two. Then three. His ankle was still sore, but it was nowhere compared to the pain from before.

   "Excellent!" Lykasha said. "I'd say you should stay in bed for one more night just to be safe. Then you're free to go."

   Link smiled and gave the apothecary a nod. He got back in bed and started drinking the potion for his cough.

   "We cannot thank you enough," Ember said. "Things are dangerous these days. Especially with those things roaming around at night."

   "Tell me about it," Lykasha said. "I've come across at least fifteen people hurt by those things this week alone! They may have only showed up recently, but it's getting to be a terrible problem. We're running out of room for patients up in Kakariko and our medical shipments can't come soon enough!"