2

Evangeline

Evangeline is faced with two options: risk being caught or possibly starve to death. How cheery. She takes a few more steps forward, every sense heightened in an attempt to detect other souls around. Confident that she is alone, she rushes to the corner of the farm, grabbing as many potatoes as will fit into her bag. As she does so, her mind wanders to the last time she stole food in this manner.

Flashback

As the afternoon turned into dusk, and dusk turned into night, the girls who had previously joined Evangeline returned to the arms of their loving parents. She was alone, again. This time, she wasn't scared. Eyes that gazed upon her only saw a lonely girl, not a freak of nature. Wandering the empty streets, she peered into shop windows in search of an easy target for dinner. Her dainty fingers were skillfully trained in pickpocketing, but she was out of stolen funds to buy food with. Tiny fingerprints smudged the window of a small bakery with a simple lock. The target had been acquired. Evangeline noiselessly slid into the bakery and found a large loaf of bread immediately, almost waiting for her. Greedy hands reached, and then halted. The most gorgeous sound was coming from above the shop, like an overture for the gods. Evangeline was faced with a dilemma: to satisfy her hunger, or her curiosity. 

Evangeline

Having collected her food, she pulls herself out of her thoughts to move on to her next task. She can't exactly eat these potatoes raw. The question is, should she risk a fire in broad daylight, or can she wait until nightfall? The arrival of a sharp headache answers her question. Evangeline has never gone hungry for this long, she was always around civilization where everything she needed was within reach. Reaching for her throbbing head, she decides that she will just be very careful about smoke giving away her location. With a small grunt, Evangeline pulls herself up to search for firewood.

Technoblade

Ever since the day he heard the music, Techno has been distracted, at best. His mind keeps wandering back to that memory and replaying it over and over again. That's what occupies his mind while he goes to check on his farm. Dirt slowly builds up on his boots as he mindfully walks the rows, checking for animals, rot, anything that might hinder the harvest that is due for any day now. He is almost done with his rounds when his eyes spot a disturbance. About a quarter of a row is missing. Techno crouches, feels the soil, and wracks his mind for possible explanations. This doesn't look like any animal he has seen before. He studies the ground, stopping when he sees a familiar shape. A handprint. Small, thin fingers, looking like it belongs to... a musician. It has to be the violinist from the woods. Technoblade stands up abruptly, and with much purpose hurries back to his house. Upon reaching there, he stops outside the door, composes himself, then walks inside.

"Hey, Techno, is there something wrong?" Philza, ever the dad figure, is peeling carrots over a sink and tossing them in a big pot.

"I um, there's something I need to tell you." Phil nods, motioning that he should continue. "The other day... I heard violin music."

"That can't be, we live miles away from the nearest village."
"I know, that's what I thought! But I swear I heard it, and I tried to get closer to see who was playing it, but they must have heard me because it stopped all the sudden."

"So why are you telling me this now?"

"I found handprints in the potato farm."

Philza stood there, chewing on the information. "Show me."

A/N Second post of the day! The usual posting schedule will be every other day, but I wanted to give the story some momentum to get started. Today, I want you to look at yourself in the mirror and say, "I love you." It doesn't matter if you believe it yet, if you say it enough times it becomes true.